Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Polar Alignment Options - electronic

Coriorda

Hi Guys, 

My knees always complain when trying to polar align and my eyesight isn't so great that trying to move the little white dot around the red screen is easy. So i am looking for an electronic solution. to polar alignment. 

I've heard Sharpcap works well, but as I use DSLR I think that is out.?

So what does that leave? Ipolar ? - wrong mount with my HEQ5 Pro and Polemaster seems so expensive i might just as well get an ASIAIR for the functionality at similar (ish) cost.

What do you guys use ? - is there anything I am missing which I should consider ? 

Thanks in advance. 

3 minutes ago, Coriorda said:

Hi Guys, 

My knees always complain when trying to polar align and my eyesight isn't so great that trying to move the little white dot around the red screen is easy. So i am looking for an electronic solution. to polar alignment. 

I've heard Sharpcap works well, but as I use DSLR I think that is out.?

So what does that leave? Ipolar ? - wrong mount with my HEQ5 Pro and Polemaster seems so expensive i might just as well get an ASIAIR for the functionality at similar (ish) cost.

What do you guys use ? - is there anything I am missing which I should consider ? 

Thanks in advance. 

A DSLR shouldn't stop you in any way I don't think. I've used my DSLR for polar alignment in Ekos and I think Sharpcap has a similar method. The camera will be clicking a bit to show the update but it's perfectly doable. If you've got a guiding solution you can use that camera too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shimonu said:

A DSLR shouldn't stop you in any way I don't think. I've used my DSLR for polar alignment in Ekos and I think Sharpcap has a similar method. The camera will be clicking a bit to show the update but it's perfectly doable. If you've got a guiding solution you can use that camera too.

Everything i read online seems to say Sharpcap doesn't support DSLR, maybe I've missed something - but will check out EKOS _ thank you for that., I don't use guiding at present, so has to be via the dslr or a stick on solution like polemaster i think. 

2 minutes ago, Coriorda said:

Everything i read online seems to say Sharpcap doesn't support DSLR, maybe I've missed something - but will check out EKOS _ thank you for that., I don't use guiding at present, so has to be via the dslr or a stick on solution like polemaster i think. 

Ah, I haven't looked at it so what you've found is probably true

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Coriorda said:

Polemaster seems so expensive i might just as well get an ASIAIR

I have an ASIair but I still PA with a PoleMaster. The downside is I have to take my laptop out when I first set up but then the upside is I get a very good PA. I've tried the PA routine in ASIair but prefer the PoleMaster. I don't guide either so a good PA is essential and the PoleMaster has proved to be money well spent.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

I have an ASIair but I still PA with a PoleMaster. The downside is I have to take my laptop out when I first set up but then the upside is I get a very good PA. I've tried the PA routine in ASIair but prefer the PoleMaster. I don't guide either so a good PA is essential and the PoleMaster has proved to be money well spent.

Thanks that really useful to hear, I had assumed with ASIAIR that it would be a "one stop shop", but interesting you prefer the PA routine in Polemaster. - it obviously must work well for you. Thank you 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

There the right angled eyepiece from FLO.

But if you're spending money then you may as well go for a guide camera and guide scope as they can work out the same price as something like iPolar, but you can guide and polar align with it. ;)

The right angle will cure my knees, but still left with my dodgy eyesight :) .   Are you saying Guide cam & scope + sharpcap  vs Polemaster or ASIAIR then ? hmmm  what do you use ? 

2 minutes ago, Coriorda said:

The right angle will cure my knees, but still left with my dodgy eyesight :) .   Are you saying Guide cam & scope + sharpcap  vs Polemaster or ASIAIR then ? hmmm  what do you use ? 

I started with wet knees, same as you. :D 

I then got a ZWO ASI120MM Mini camera which I fitted to a 9x50 finder scope and used that for guiding. I now have a SVBony 60mm guide scope with the ASI120MM Mini attached to a bar mounted on top of the main scope. I use SharpCap Pro to polar align and then switch over to PHD2 for guiding.

If you don't have a spare finder scope then you can get it as a bundle from FLO (when it's all in stock ;) ).

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

I started with wet knees, same as you. :D 

I then got a ZWO ASI120MM Mini camera which I fitted to a 9x50 finder scope and used that for guiding. I now have a SVBony 60mm guide scope with the ASI120MM Mini attached to a bar mounted on top of the main scope. I use SharpCap Pro to polar align and then switch over to PHD2 for guiding.

If you don't have a spare finder scope then you can get it as a bundle from FLO (when it's all in stock ;) ).

Thank you- how do you find the 120MM? - you use this guiding / platesolving ? - And Sharpcap pro- is this a straightforward as it looks on Youtube. ??

24 minutes ago, Coriorda said:

I had assumed with ASIAIR that it would be a "one stop shop"

I think it could be but ....

The PA routine in the ASIair assumes the optical axis of the mount and the optical axis of the OTA are in exact alignment - as I understand it the whole idea with PA is to align the mount and not the OTA.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Coriorda said:

Thank you- how do you find the 120MM? - you use this guiding / platesolving ? - And Sharpcap pro- is this a straightforward as it looks on Youtube. ??

For the size of the sensor it's quite good. In PHD2 when guiding on a 2 second exposure I can see the core of M31 with it and the same with M81 & M82.

I only use it for PA and guiding. Plate Solving is done through the main camera.

SharpCap is very easy and I'm normally polar aligned in less than 5 minutes and you can get it very accurate. It costs £10 a year for the Pro licence in SharpCap but you get more than just the polar alignment with that.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

I think it could be but ....

The PA routine in the ASIair assumes the optical axis of the mount and the optical axis of the OTA are in exact alignment - as I understand it the whole idea with PA is to align the mount and not the OTA.

Well that's news to me - I thought the step in the PA routine where you swivel the mount in RA, calculates the centre of rotation of the mount irrespective of where the OTA is pointing. Thanks

27 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

For the size of the sensor it's quite good. In PHD2 when guiding on a 2 second exposure I can see the core of M31 with it and the same with M81 & M82.

I only use it for PA and guiding. Plate Solving is done through the main camera.

SharpCap is very easy and I'm normally polar aligned in less than 5 minutes and you can get it very accurate. It costs £10 a year for the Pro licence in SharpCap but you get more than just the polar alignment with that.

Thanks that's really helpful! Ill focus on the £10/year, and try and forget about the £250 for camera/ guide scope   :)