Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Taunton!

dave_tucker

Hi! I'm Dave from Taunton, Somerset. I got my start in star gazing 3 years ago when I treated myself to a SkyWatcher 150P, EQ3-2 and some eyepieces.
Sadly I got tired of cold nights and disappointing astrophotography results and put everything in the garage.
I've been slowly working my way through my list of "Lockdown Projects" and reached "Use my telescope again" last night.
Passion rekindled, I thought I'd sign up here and see if I can learn something... and hopefully my next venture in to astrophotography will be more fruitful.

• Like 2

Hi Dave, welcome to SGL. The combination of an EQ3-2 and 6" Newtonian should work on planets and moon with a suitable Barlow and planetary camera, but for deep sky it is going to be hard. I do image on an EQ3-2, but with a much shorter focal length, either a DSLR with telephoto, or a short APO refractor. For my 6" F/5 scope I always use a much heavier mount. If you have something like a 200 mm telephoto, you can achieve results like these on your mount

M31-07012018-2re2.jpg.e5df37077da12ffcc73faa39730dd8f7.thumb.jpg.230f8f32fc303a49c58c40109231203f.jpg

OrionWF200L07012018c2.thumb.jpg.2b969fe634c02eb776e3667b21181903.jpg

The latter was with a modded EOS 550D, without guiding, just stacking loads of short exposures

• Like 1

Hi Dave, lovely set up I used to have the 150p eq3-2 but sold as to bulky for me. Have fun with your scope its a beauty, just enjoy any clear night's you get, loads of friendly members here for any advice and information, they are a fantastic bunch, clear skies 

Thanks everyone for the very warm welcome. It's great to see so many of you are local.

On 18/02/2021 at 13:00, spillage said:

Hi Dave and welcome.

I too am local to you. Just outside Langport. My advice is to not get involved with astrophotography....🙃

It's a bit late for that now. I was out last night with the DSLR.

On 18/02/2021 at 15:06, Frank the Troll said:

Hopefully as lockdown is eased,you can pop over to me ;)

Would love to