Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Razor 120, Hercules and Atlas

jetstream

An unusual combination of crystal clear skies and superb seeing came together tonight. I must say again, seeing was excellent.

The TSA120 is rumoured to be good on the moon, ok maybe I started the rumour! Eyepieces were the Zeiss 25.1-6.7/VIP and the Vixen HR 2.4mm and 3.4mm.Mount is a SW AZEQ6 used in manual alt az.

Stored in my seacan the scope is perfectly equalized as was the Zeiss prism diagonal (important). Temp about -27c.

The first view through the scope rocked me back using the Zeiss zoom native, razor sharp crystal views and winding the zoom out showed zero degradation. From experience I knew what comes next- throw the 2,4mm HR in there to check the seeing. This eyepiece gave an in your face, crisp, sharp view at 375x, unbelievable. So sharp, hence the razor 120 title. I have tried to break the optics down in the TSA120 and am unable to do so, using the HR/VIP combo.

Well, back to my favourite combination- the Zeiss zoom VIP- long story short is that I kept adding rings to the adapter such that it gives about 2.6mm fl. The Zeiss has a virtual field stop location and I forget where Zeiss told me it was, but it is a bit up from the bottom lens- so my calc is conservative. it gives about a 67 deg AFOV maxed out. This combo matches the HR's performance but in a zoom with a wide field and scatter? what scatter....

Hercules and Atlas were in a perfect position to observe- stunning, just stunning. A jet black terminator near these 2 favourites. Somehow I never realized the detail in Atlases floor-riles and sharp eruptions on the floor. Then there is the scalloped edges... How did overlook this previously? Man these two looked good with mags up around 335x or a bit more with the ZZ/VIP.

This eyepiece with its wide field eclipses the Vixen HRs view.

I spent a good while out there on the moon, what a great combination- excellent seeing with the moon up high, a razor sharp scope and matching glass to look through.

It doesn't get better than this.  IMHO.

• Like 10

On 17/02/2021 at 03:49, domstar said:

A very good read. I find it a shock looking at the moon again after a few sessions of faint stuff. It just seems like a different hobby- so bright and crisp.

Yes, as the LP gets worse around here, and I don't like driving at night, I have rediscovered the Moon 🌜

It's really awesome, the details that one can see, it can keep you real busy :)

Fantastic report Gerry, sounds amazing! I bet the TSA is stunning at those mags under the excellent conditions you had.

I couldn’t QUITE match your views with my little Telementor last night 🤣, but still had fun!

Thanks for the report, keep them coming! 👍👍

By the way, when you say manual AltAz, do you mean you just had it tracking, not aligned for Goto?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stu said:

By the way, when you say manual AltAz, do you mean you just had it tracking, not aligned for Goto?

Thanks Stu!

I just loosen the adjusters a bit and use it manually, it works pretty good actually and sits on a 8'x8' concrete pad. I carry it out assembled with counterweight no scope but the old bones are creaking lol!

The SW controller wont work well in the cold and the cable insulation is too stiff...I need silicone rubber cables and a way to heat the synscan controller.

Last night was superb! and so was the night before and tonight looks clear on the map.

• Like 1