SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Camera thoughts (ZWO ASI2600MC Pro or ZWO ASI294MC Pro AND ZWO ASI533MC Pro)

Stuf1978

6 hours ago, Whirlwind said:

As an alternative how about a colour APS-C CCD instead which come up relatively frequently e.g. U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell (astrobuysell.com - (I have no links to seller!)  This gets you a colour APS-C camera for about a halve-third of the cost of a new 2600.  For someone that is just jumping into CCD/CMOS then this might be a more cost effective option and allows you to test the water.  The pixel size is more appropriate for longer focal lengths as well and was a type of camera that has been a work horse for years.  There's also a mono for the same price (if you changed your mind on this as I think this is more future proof and the saving does then let you spend on filter wheels/filters etc). 

Must admit the price is tempting and a used camera is definitely something to consider (including mono).

5 hours ago, Xsubmariner said:

Reading this thread it is evident that stuf1978 has his heart set on the 2600, may I offer a few points for thought. I have owned several OSC cameras SX,Atik and QHY and only the ZWO-071 remains from what I would class as my CCD and 1st gen Cmos OSC cameras. My other OSC is the QHY268C, same sensor as the 2600 in a different package. The QHY doesn’t have the built in USB hub, as already said not a problem for OSC. The QHY does offer different modes for data management and comes with a useful rotator/coupler, this does increase the camera back focus to 23.5mm, again not a problem for OSC. There is no doubt the IMX455/571 sensor is a game changer, when you read Olly Penrice talking up OSC you know times have changed.

A real benefit of OSC cameras for inexperienced imagers is the ability to capture enough data in one-2 sessions to create a colour image, which improves satisfaction and builds confidence. New data can be added as, when available and the image reworked. This is especially beneficial in the U.K. where you never know when the next opportunity to image will come.

That said, there are many cameras that will deliver exceptional images in the right hands and the time has never been better for picking up a good used bargain. Is this the time to make the move to mono? I have seen several complete mono kits (camera,FW & fitters) going for barging prices. Whatever you decide there is plenty of choice at this time.

That's the beauty of OSC, it's not drastically different to what I'm doing now and some of the images I've seen with the ZWO ASI 2600MC Pro and other OSC cameras with the same sensor are definitely comparable to mono images :)

I’ve been using a canon 450D on a star adventurer until very recently and I’ve just upgraded to the Asi 2600 and Eq35-m mount. I still haven’t managed to get a good nights imaging yet but I managed a bit in between the clouds. This is just 19 three minute subs. I haven’t quite got my spacing between my flattener right yet. It was much easier to process with nicer data, even if there wasn’t enough of it. :) 

9FC53639-41CA-4358-8232-ADA951802083.thumb.png.7f78f62fa8b4e5eb2157bab581b57854.png

I’m sure there are other cameras I could have bought that would also have been a huge improvement on the 450D, but I didn’t want to upgrade again in the near future and I wanted the same size sensor as the Dslr. I also wanted to be able to image without saturating stars so quickly so in the end I bit the bullet. So far, albeit not long, I’m very pleased with it. I’m looking forward to using it more when I get a chance. :) 

I did seriously consider the Altair Hypercam 26C which has the same sensor but I wouldn’t have been able to use it with the Asiair which I already had so that made my choice.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Scooot said:

I’ve been using a canon 450D on a star adventurer until very recently and I’ve just upgraded to the Asi 2600 and Eq35-m mount. I still haven’t managed to get a good nights imaging yet but I managed a bit in between the clouds. This is just 19 three minute subs. I haven’t quite got my spacing between my flattener right yet. It was much easier to process with nicer data, even if there wasn’t enough of it. :) 

I’m sure there are other cameras I could have bought that would also have been a huge improvement on the 450D, but I didn’t want to upgrade again in the near future and I wanted the same size sensor as the Dslr. I also wanted to be able to image without saturating stars so quickly so in the end I bit the bullet. So far, albeit not long, I’m very pleased with it. I’m looking forward to using it more when I get a chance. :) 

I did seriously consider the Altair Hypercam 26C which has the same sensor but I wouldn’t have been able to use it with the Asiair which I already had so that made my choice.

Thanks, good to hear from someone who has gone 450D to 2600 :) I also don't want to have to upgrade again so that was my thinking too along with retaining the APS-C sensor size.

So I went from modified DSLR to Atik 314L+ with (in comparison) a tiny sensor.. and never looked back. In fact I still have 3 of them.. fantastic little things. However, with mono you do need time to get enough data and thats why I automated the Obsy.. I tried multi shooters but again time intensive setting up aligning etc. OSC CCD never seemed to cut it. However, the latest OSC CMOS seems to have changed things, seen some great results & so much so I've dipped a toe in and got a 2600MC. Needless to say I'm still waiting for first light as usual with the weather! However, have you noticed FLO seem to have dropped the price on these by £170 since I got mine 10 days ago. Might be an incentive just there ;) 

1 hour ago, Sp@ce_d said:

However, have you noticed FLO seem to have dropped the price on these by £170 since I got mine 10 days ago. Might be an incentive just there ;) 

Doh, 16/1/21 I bought mine. :)  Maybe because sterling is so much stronger? 

1 hour ago, Sp@ce_d said:

So I went from modified DSLR to Atik 314L+ with (in comparison) a tiny sensor.. and never looked back. In fact I still have 3 of them.. fantastic little things. However, with mono you do need time to get enough data and thats why I automated the Obsy.. I tried multi shooters but again time intensive setting up aligning etc. OSC CCD never seemed to cut it. However, the latest OSC CMOS seems to have changed things, seen some great results & so much so I've dipped a toe in and got a 2600MC. Needless to say I'm still waiting for first light as usual with the weather! However, have you noticed FLO seem to have dropped the price on these by £170 since I got mine 10 days ago. Might be an incentive just there ;) 

lol, yeah I keep checking the stock almost daily. I don't quite have the funds yet so it'll have to wait a bit :(

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The IMX571 is an amazing sensor, judging from the views and reports I have seen.

And because it has the same pixel pitch as the 533, you can crop to an equivalent square format easily.

It seems that not only ZWO and QHY offer IMX571 sensors, but other companies as well (Altair/Touptek/Rising cam is one design available, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more soon)

N.F.

• Like 1