Planetary camera recommendations for the Skywatcher 130PDS

Howdy Folks,

As the winter drags on and clouds continue to be the only thing I can see through my telescope, my thoughts have been wandering to warmer (and hopefully clearer) days. I've been considering having a pop at planetary imaging with my Skywatcher 130PDS (mount HEQ5 Pro).

Looking for suggestions as to which ZWO (I have an AISIAIR Pro and want it to be compatible) camera would be my best option. My budget is pretty low so I was considering the ZWO ASI 120MC-S USB 3.0 Colour Camera. I am aware that there are a few others such as (ZWO ASI 224MC USB 3.0 Colour Camera) in my price range of £200 ish but not sure if the difference is worth it.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Simon

Definitely go for the 224 over the 120, it's more sensitive with lower read noise and should produce better results. Plus it is pretty sensitive in the near IR (beyond 750nm ish) and so you can use an IR pass filter with it. 

Edited by CraigT82
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

Go for the more sensitive 224. You will need an IR filter.

Hi Peter, Thanks for your help. I'm a little confused though. I saw this camera for sale second hand and looking at the specs it's selling point is its sensitivity to IR light. So why would one either want this or filter out IR? 

Sorry if its a silly question! 

Simon 

11 hours ago, Simon Dunsmore said:

Hi Peter, Thanks for your help. I'm a little confused though. I saw this camera for sale second hand and looking at the specs it's selling point is its sensitivity to IR light. So why would one either want this or filter out IR? 

Sorry if its a silly question! 

Simon 

If you don't use an IR filter the images will appear more fuzzy. Sharper with the filter.