SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Winter Star Party 2020

MarkRadice

As I wait for the skies to clear, I finally finished a short video of my trip to last year's Winter Star Party in the Florida Keys.  As we bask in the sub-zero temperatures, I think back fondly to observing under the warm sunshine. I am gutted to miss this year's event - particularly as last year I had access to a 22-inch dob (plus eyepieces and ladder!) while enjoying eta carina, omega centauri and the milky way sights. 

• Like 12

31 minutes ago, MarkRadice said:

Thanks Bish, it’s thoroughly recommended. Where are you going in 2024? I have my eye on the next eclipse in Spain but that is still some years hence. 

I plan to be in the middle of Texas for 2024.  I went over for the 2017 eclipse and saw it from Idaho, then drove down through Utah and Arizona. Not sure of my entire trip plan for 2024 yet. Last time I was in Florida it was for a rocket launch, the next time hopefully for the star party.

• Like 1

It sounds like you had an excellent visit to WSP. I haven't been in several years but I also cherish my visits. Thank you for the photos and sketches - they are a lovely nice reminder of these beautiful objects as seen from the south Florida Keys.

- Phyllis

• Like 1

Hi Robin and Peter - great to hear from you. As you can see the trip is thoroughly recommended.

Carole - I took my APM binos, eps and DSLR in my carry on while my camping gear and tripod went in the hold.  And then yes, I was given access to a 22" dob - although I have learned to never look through a telescope you can't afford!

Jonny - my wife said that I had shrunk when she saw my pic next to the 10". it is very lightening on the wallet too!

Jeremey - thanks!