SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Allsky Star Trails

The widest of widefield. Just because...!

2030165484_10-02-21-AllskyStartrails.thumb.png.da18601b16e98a2bc22118d2a9c926d3.png

This was from the 10th of February 2021, and consisted of about 8 hours of 30 second subs. There are some gaps due to clouds passing which ruined the look, so I took them out.

I'm hoping to get an all nighter with perfect conditions, but that isn't likely any time soon!

• Like 4

Looks like you are using the fujinom f1.8 180 degree lens as the edge profile looks similar to how mine looks on an image, only I am now using the 150 degree lens as I haven't yet got the camera outside and top of window frame is somewhat rubbish.

37 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Looks like you are using the fujinom f1.8 180 degree lens as the edge profile looks similar to how mine looks on an image, only I am now using the 150 degree lens as I haven't yet got the camera outside and top of window frame is somewhat rubbish.

Yep - 1.4mm f1.8 on a ZWO 178MC.

I'm using an Rpi 4 with an allsky software package and the camera and lens combo are just on a tripod for now, with a dew heater round the lens. I take it outside if it's worth trying, so that#s only been 3 times this year so far!

I'm currently drawing an enclosure to 3D print, and will have a bit of cooling and a dew heater. The plan is to get it high up in a permanent position.

• Like 2

No, whilst under test it just sits looking out of a window 24/7- but when the weather is clear, I take it outside on a tripod and put it in the garden somewhere. The rpi runs from a POE hat, so it's 1 POE network cable back to the house and that's all it needs.

Long term, it'll go up on the roof or something. As you can see by the timelapse, I have a couple of neighbours with nasty floodlights that are enough to be very annoying.

If you put any 180 degree lens looking through a window, it will certainly show the window frame and you'll lose the whole point of 180 degree wide view. Of course, for testing you could try, but the stars will also be out of focus and possibly distorted.

Ultimatley it has to be outside, fairly high up to maximise the sky view and with as little between the lens and the sky - for example, some acrylic domes cause really bad scatter, whereas quality glass domes aren't as bad.

I have a Vicon CCTV dome which looks promising, but not yet built - all part of a very slow project!

Edited by Jonk
  • Like 1