Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rings around planets

ChrisEdu

I think most of us are able to appreciate the rings around Saturn, but, I was wondering, which other planetary rings are visible and with what equipment. For example, would it be possible to see the rings of Uranus with a 12" scope, or would more aperture be required? What about Neptune etc...? Or is it a case of having to be satisified with Saturn's rings?

My understanding is that the rings that have been found around other planets are only detectable through big professional telescopes and remote probes.

I guess it's just possible that it might be possible to detect them with amateur equipment if they occult a star but through the impact they have on the brightness of the star rather than directly.

John

Herschel claimed to see rings round Uranus but he also claimed to see trees on the Moon. Saturn's are the only ones we can see through a telescope but there are plenty to look for (at least 3 of them). "Spokes" in the rings were identified telescopically by Stephen O'Meara before the Pioneer probe confirmed them.

• 1 month later...

Archived