Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mosaic stitching options/software

Hi all, 

I tried to do a mosaic only couple of times and wonder how you guys and girls do it.

The only free software I know is the ICE , and even though doesn't do a bad job I wonder if there's any better. 

So far started by doing only 2 panels mosaic... The workflow would be  stacking separate panels in DSS, then open them

in StarTools, crop the necessary amount and wipe to remove gradients. Then stitch them in ICE without stretching, and

process as usual the whole picture in StarTools.  It yields OK results, I think. 

I've tried to do the stitching prior gradient removal but doesn't seem to work as good. Also tried to process both panels

first and then stitch them, but always end up with some brightness difference between the two. 

Also, I think ICE does some sort of compression to the file... I export as TIFF but STarTools doesn't open it. I have to open in 

Nebulosity then Save it as 16bit TIFF.. 

Ideas/comments welcome :)

Clear skies

Carles

APP - not free but really great for muliple panel mosaics. There is a free trial version.

Just been processing what should be a 9 panel mosaic but currently just 7 processed using APP to stitch the panels together.

Sh2-240-RGB-7of9.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fwm891 said:

APP - not free but really great for muliple panel mosaics. There is a free trial version.

Just been processing what should be a 9 panel mosaic but currently just 7 processed using APP to stitch the panels together.

Sh2-240-RGB-7of9.jpg

Looks great Francis! 

But yeah... APP is not free , I guess PI does too but expensive also. 

But indeed will try out the free demo one day.. Heard APP does stacking very well too :)

This is my 2 panel rosette. although not balanced..since the upper part is 3h30 and the lower one 2h40 min , but getting there :) (Borg 89ED +SCAhotech flattener+qhy8L + Opotolong L-pro) 

1862460268_12022021-WipeAndContraststitchdon.thumb.jpg.619bc47945246e79a08949b17b4fd2f8.jpgI

• Like 1