Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mesu mount (all versions) owner's thread

Jonk

A small contribution on park position. 

With the Mk1 you have the option to align your park position with the locking hook mechanism, if for any reason the mount was moved while unpowered you have a reference point for your park position... 

With the Mk2 this addition keeps it simple & blu-tack is easily removed once you think of something better! 

See attached photos... 

Peter

IMG_20210212_144834.jpg

IMG_20210204_130614.jpg

IMG_20210204_130537.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, whipdry said:

A small contribution on park position. 

With the Mk1 you have the option to align your park position with the locking hook mechanism, if for any reason the mount was moved while unpowered you have a reference point for your park position... 

With the Mk2 this addition keeps it simple & blu-tack is easily removed once you think of something better! 

See attached photos... 

Peter

IMG_20210212_144834.jpg

IMG_20210204_130614.jpg

IMG_20210204_130537.jpg

Good idea, and had given me an idea for a 3D print!  Currently I just marked mine with a sharpie. 

• 1 month later...

I am a Mesu Mk1 owner and was just pointed to this video (thanks  @wimvb ) about using an Ampere meter (needs to be able to measure DC current / Ampere, not only AC!) to balance a mount. As you know the Mesu 200Mk1 has no clutches so balancing becomes rather subjective.... I just ordered one from Amazon for about 40 pounds (the cheaper ones only measure AC current so they will not work).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Goran were you aware that in Sitech under Features .... Controller Stuff you can see the motor currents..  maybe an ammeter will be more precise, be interesting to know 

No Dave, I did not know that so maybe that will be an equally good way to do it. Have you used it? In any case that meter seems like a tool every handy man and hobby electrician should have😁

I haven’t used it ..  only found out recently when after 27 months of ownership I decided it was time I read the manual...  and yes a useful tool..  I have my Dad’s AVO, older than me still going strong 💪 and immensely useful 

• Like 1

On 29/03/2021 at 08:27, Laurin Dave said:

I haven’t used it ..  only found out recently when after 27 months of ownership I decided it was time I read the manual...  and yes a useful tool..  I have my Dad’s AVO, older than me still going strong 💪 and immensely useful 

I found that it changes too rapidly to be of any use. The Mark 1 Mesu is best balanced by good old pushing and pulling. The mechanism is quite stiff so it's only ever going to be an approximation but it seems to work fine.

Balancing on the Mark 2 is probably a lot easier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been meaning to have a look at the balance on my mount for a while and this thread pushed me to action yesterday. Following a bit of tinkering, I concur with @Zakalwe - the current readout in the SiTech software with my Mk 1 Mesu 200 flits around too much to give a reliably steady reading when moving the mount with the handset. However, I found that the current draw when the mount is stopped but running (i.e. powered on but not tracking) gives an indication of imbalance. If there is a draw when not tracking then it is out of balance. My mount was reading 0.00 for the secondary drive (Dec), but 0.02 or thereabouts for the primary drive (RA). I investigated and found that the counterweight had slipped all the way to the end of the bar, so the mount was totally out of balance. I moved the counterweight until the draw was 0.00 and then turned the mount off and checked the good ol' manual way. Sure enough, perfect balance. I recalibrated PHD2 last night and guiding is much better now!!! Oh, silly me... that's about six months worth of (not many) subs that could have been better!

• Like 4

I give you all un update when Amazon delivers the ampmeter. The Mesu is such a sturdy mount that it may not make much of a difference but it may give me a good feeling to know that I have balanced it objectively.

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1

In theory yes, as you’re not driving against the servo.

A word of warning though, you may find the DEC axis appears to be harder to move than the RA, don’t worry this is normal and may actually feel fine the more weight you put on it.

Also, balance the DEC in all directions before adding counterweights to balance in RA. Otherwise, RA will never be balanced properly.

1 hour ago, Jonk said:

Also, balance the DEC in all directions before adding counterweights to balance in RA. Otherwise, RA will never be balanced properly.

Be very careful doing this, especially if there is a big load on the scope. There's a very real danger of the telescope swinging round and smashing against the pier/ your head with real force if you load it up without counterweights. You could also deal yourself a serious crushing injury if a hand or arm came between 40Kg of scopes and the pier.

1 hour ago, Zakalwe said:

Be very careful doing this, especially if there is a big load on the scope. There's a very real danger of the telescope swinging round and smashing against the pier/ your head with real force if you load it up without counterweights. You could also deal yourself a serious crushing injury if a hand or arm came between 40Kg of scopes and the pier.

True, but the mesu e200 does have axis locks.

I suppose I should have said before adjusting the counterweights.

2 hours ago, Zakalwe said:

Agreed, two fully set up Esprit 150s on there with no counter weights is a scary prospect.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Neil27 said:

Only one fully set up esprit 150 will be on the mount, 😉

I’m fortunate to have a dual 150 rig on my Mesu Mk 1,  but one would still be a handful if it got loose.

• Like 1

Morning everyone, hive mind request please.

Trying to work out what adapter plates come with the standard mount and mount wedge, does anyone have decent pictures of your set up and how you ‘attached’ your mount and wedge to your current pier? Also what actually comes with the wedge, how many adapter plates?

Sorry for the noob question, starting from scratch!

1 hour ago, Neil27 said:

Morning everyone, hive mind request please.

Trying to work out what adapter plates come with the standard mount and mount wedge, does anyone have decent pictures of your set up and how you ‘attached’ your mount and wedge to your current pier? Also what actually comes with the wedge, how many adapter plates?

Sorry for the noob question, starting from scratch!

There aren’t any adapter plates, the base of the wedge is designed to be bolted directly onto the pier. There are three holes on the wedge plate, evenly spaced, one of which points south.

1CD6623B-62DA-45A3-9C82-060F11D0F853.jpeg

20 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

There aren’t any adapter plates, the base of the wedge is designed to be bolted directly onto the pier. There are three holes on the wedge plate, evenly spaced, one of which points south.

1CD6623B-62DA-45A3-9C82-060F11D0F853.jpeg

Thanks, just chatting to a local machine shop who can hopefully make an adaptor plate to allow the base of the mount to attach to the top of the pier.

Hi Everyone, 

can anyone tell me the actual payload of the MKII is for Astrophotgraphy? i know it all depends on OTA length and etc... i just want to know it limits, i planing to use an 16 inch RC telescope  on it. its length is about 1100cm, FL 3250mm, weight with Equipments is about 40kg. What im considering is some reports about the Slippage of the friction drive. Does anyone have an Experience with such heavy load or very long focal length?   

Clear Skies,

29 minutes ago, OJ87 said:

Hi Everyone, 

can anyone tell me the actual payload of the MKII is for Astrophotgraphy? i know it all depends on OTA length and etc... i just want to know it limits, i planing to use an 16 inch RC telescope  on it. its length is about 1100cm, FL 3250mm, weight with Equipments is about 40kg. What im considering is some reports about the Slippage of the friction drive. Does anyone have an Experience with such heavy load or very long focal length?   

Clear Skies,

100kgs - personally I wouldn't go over about 70kgs but as long as its balanced properly in all 3 axis it will swing it around all night without breaking into a sweat.

45 minutes ago, OJ87 said:

Hi Everyone, 

Clear Skies,

The maximum payload is noted as 100kg on Mesus own website, so you will be mounting under half its maximum tolerance, well within its parameters when balanced well. Slippage can occur if not balanced correctly.

I can’t speak from experience as I haven’t received my mount yet, (due this weekend fingers crossed). However I have spoken to several members on here, one of which is @Skipper Billy whom was very helpful.

7 hours ago, Neil27 said:

The maximum payload is noted as 100kg on Mesus own website, so you will be mounting under half its maximum tolerance, well within its parameters when balanced well. Slippage can occur if not balanced correctly.

I can’t speak from experience as I haven’t received my mount yet, (due this weekend fingers crossed). However I have spoken to several members on here, one of which is @Skipper Billy whom was very helpful.

Oh great! So you’re receiving it this weekend! 

how long have you been waiting for it? 
Best regards,

7 hours ago, OJ87 said:

Oh great! So you’re receiving it this weekend! 

how long have you been waiting for it? 
Best regards,

I first enquired in 2016 regarding the mount, then had a 5 year break. Recently enquired about 3 months ago and will hopefully receive it this weekend.