SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mesu mount (all versions) owner's thread

Jonk

So sorry to hear about the accidental damage, hope it doesn’t take too long to rectify. I know I’m stating the obvious after the event, but the Mesu mount is a serious bit of kit in all respects, I wouldn’t entertain powering mine up unless it was properly secured on either a sturdy tripod, pier or work bench.

i am so sorry too.

Finally received my mount but sadly the part where counterweight   axis tight is damaged. 

the problem is aesthetic but definitely this part needs to be replaced fortunately it does not affect the operation and i managed to do some tests

39FB4B31-5919-4B44-95D4-46F04C8E0621.jpeg

527D144C-8435-421E-83FF-7579F193CCD6.jpeg

Edited by manoss27
  • Like 1

Now attached to my pier and adapter plate. So mechanically all in place. Looks good in its natural habitat 👍

Struggling connecting it to the laptop though, missing the usb/serial driver I think, will try again today 🤔

F1EDA585-2752-4658-85EC-1BB4B57C9CC5.jpeg

00888ED4-54D0-4C97-8705-6D7953F85219.jpeg

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Neil27 said:

Now attached to my pier and adapter plate. So mechanically all in place. Looks good in its natural habitat 👍

Struggling connecting it to the laptop though, missing the usb/serial driver I think, will try again today 🤔

F1EDA585-2752-4658-85EC-1BB4B57C9CC5.jpeg

00888ED4-54D0-4C97-8705-6D7953F85219.jpeg

Curious how you polar align this wedge?

28 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

It’s the 3 bolts beneath the RA drive, a little different to the previous version as there was a bespoke latitude adjustment. Users of this newer version have commented how easy it is to adjust, not tried it yet though so can’t comment at the moment.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Mesu can supply a wedge to your exact latitude but I think off the shelf ones are centred around 50ish degrees or so they work fine for all the UK and Ireland.

As long as you align any one hole of the base of the wedge with south, it’s only a matter of adjusting the three bolts on the angled section to get polar aligned.  Very simple and works very well. Easy to work with 3 large 19mm bolts and a big spanner to get extremely accurate alignment. 

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 1

Think I may have missed a few steps or downloaded the wrong version of software?

So all cables from the Sitech controller connected up correctly, start laptop up, connect usb/serial connector to USB port. Start the Sitech config software, select com port from the one noted in device manager, select get data from controller and that is where it fails, just states error, error, error etc and message as below.

Am I running latest version of the Sitech config software, 1.30?

Any help welcome please or directions to the correct version if anyone could throw a few suggestions my way.

F4173AA2-059A-4E68-94AD-F12F867B7DFD.jpeg

CCC4C105-75FF-4F22-9A80-1EC61CE9D707.jpeg

12ACE34F-E90E-431B-9CD8-2F5E8C9E0B54.jpeg

11 hours ago, richardejm said:

Sitech config is only used to configure the firmware in the controller.  You need the ascom driver from here http://siderealtechnology.com/SiTechSetup095G.exe

Sgp, apt, nine, phd2 etc connect to this driver to control the mount. Good luck!

Thanks for the heads up Richard, not sure what version I am running but I think I’ll start again and uninstall / reinstall all the software again. It’s likely user error! 
The mount is connected and working off the hand pad controller, so I know there is nothing wrong with the mechanical side of things, just the connection from the mount to the PC. Obviously doesn’t help when there is a dummy (aka me) in between 😉

The latest I believe is 95P http://siderealtechnology.com/SiTechSetup095P.exe

I don’t remember if this is the full installer or just the exe file you overwrite an older version with, I’m not in a position to check at the moment.

Once you install this, run the sitechexe from the desktop (assuming it creates a shortcut when installed, user choice) then go into the config menu and set up the com port etc.

Then, have fun - but not with the mount on a table, it will topple over!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A cautionary tale for all mesu mk1 owners out there: don't be tempted to open this "inspection panel"

image.png.f7d8bfb83c83fac718ce14f14903d7d7.png

I did this in a moment of "I wonder what's in there?" and found the motor spindle as expected. I then later experienced lots of slippage in RA and noticed that the axis was much easier to move than before. I emailed Mr Mesu who asked me to measure the torque. I didn't have a spring balance so I improvised with this highly sophisticated measuring device from Sainsbury's:

image.png.219b4f8256432a12fa2261285cb5767c.png

and found it was about 3Nm - much too low should be 11. He kindly did a skype session to fix this and I explained what I had done. He told me that the panel is actually a finely calibrated roller tension adjuster and shouldn't be touched - do'h! The rotation angle of the panel sets the tension by adjusting the position of  the motor spindle. There is a fine line inscribed on it that points to another marker on the motor housing when it's in the right place.  I , of course, had put it back in a random position which turned out to be too loose. I had bought a spring balance by this time and it now with Lucas's kind help it all works correctly again.

• Thanks 1

On 12/05/2021 at 18:24, tomato said:

So sorry to hear about the accidental damage, hope it doesn’t take too long to rectify. I know I’m stating the obvious after the event, but the Mesu mount is a serious bit of kit in all respects, I wouldn’t entertain powering mine up unless it was properly secured on either a sturdy tripod, pier or work bench.

To that end, I have a really  heavy duty Manfrotto 143 tripod that I have modified with a central bolt for placing the mount on whenever I need to work on it not in the observatory. Of course, none of this helps our unfortunate friend  but it might well help others in the future.

When I first got my mount, I had it sitting on the carpet test tracking and it gently over-balanced onto it’s side but it could so easily have been on a bench with catastrophic consequences. Not a Mesu issue at all but definitely something to be aware of! 

My Mesu 200 (Sitech II controller) bought new in 2013 continues to work faultlessly in my automated observatory - one of the best purchases I have ever made!

• Like 2

In the early days I tried bolting a wooden base to the mount to transport it in the back of the car. Not large enough as it turned out because when negotiating a tight roundabout it toppled over. Fortunately there were soft bags in the vicinity so  no harm done. 
However, I learnt my lesson and acquired a large flight case to ensure safe storage and transport thereafter.

• Like 1

I managed to completely destroy my Mesu - was taking my telescope off the saddle with the counter weights still on, and the moment the scope was removed the entire  mount toppled over destroying the RA axis.  Its not viable to have it repaired, so it's an expensive lesson.   

• Sad 3

So managed to get all the correct software downloaded and cables connected. Even managed to get my aging laptop upgraded to windows 10. Followed the idiots guide to first switching on by @Jonk thanks man!

Now tracking I think, (well motors are making a soft hum), no idea where it is pointed at and haven't a clue how the software works, but its a first step.

Sitech - tracking 12-06-2021.png

Hi Neil, 

The Sitech software is indeed a wonder to behold, especially if you attempt to read the manual from cover to cover like I did, but you don’t have to get in deep to get the best out of your Mesu. In the early days I used to centre a reference star from the list in the software and perform an ‘offset Init’, checking that the scope was on the correct side of the pier as the software stated, and I was ready to go. These days I connect the mount to NINA, and platesolve to sync the mount, which is lightning quick.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Just to follow up on my major mishap.  I received both R.A. and Dec. components back from Lucas.  He had to replace the roller pins and recalibrate everything after the fall.  Also the wedge arrived this time.  I am glad to report that the mount is securely in place in its new home.  

Chris

20210712_152701.jpg

• Like 4

Hi guys, this is a small tutorial about modeling I did some time ago, maybe some will find it useful. I hope the link to the pdf still works. 

The testing was done with a 12 inch SCT, not ideal, but it was very educational for me. Since then I got an 8 inch APO that rides on the Mesu 200 . This week I'm receiving the last adapter for the imaging train, and I am back in business. I went the refractor way, because the SCT was not what I had hoped for, imaging wise, but thats another story. 

I am really excited to see how the refractor-Mesu pair will perform. The only thing I don't like about the Mesu is the lack of options for absolute encoders ... (a friction drive mount with absolute encoders will give 10 micron a run for its money 😀)other than that, it has a learning curve as everything else. Be patient, learn the Sitech software and everything should work ok

Edited by dan_adi

Managed a few hours under the skies before cloud and low mist rolled in. Wasn’t able to do a proper off set init as not many stars available to pick from due to the very light nights. I can now understand why fellow astronomers don’t image or wait for darker skies in the summer, as there doesn’t seem to be any 😂. So a quick peep at the low moon was all I could manage unfortunately.

Jobs to do before Autumn - I feel like I’ve jumped off the deep end of a swimming pool whilst struggling to swim!

Recheck Lat / Long and current time?

Work out how the mount knows where it is pointing? Learn to park, unpark, set park etc.

Understand the difference between off set innit and syncing?

Pick a suitable software package for tracking / modelling the sky.

Try and polar align the mount, drift / software / polar scope?

Work out adaptors and spacing for my camera / telescope / flattener.

Buy a guide camera and learn PHD … oh the joy!

Beg for assistance from anyone that can offer assistance to a fledgling new starter 😊.

So first light of the moon taken with my phone, held up to the eyepiece. A long journey awaits possibly full of self doubt, angst and a large dollop of trepidation.

Thanks for reading.

0EC6A832-6FB8-4D63-9DB6-B97313244212.jpeg

6D57EC84-D0B6-4D2C-9F50-F694A0624198.jpeg

2 hours ago, Neil27 said:

Managed a few hours under the skies before cloud and low mist rolled in. Wasn’t able to do a proper off set init as not many stars available to pick from due to the very light nights. I can now understand why fellow astronomers don’t image or wait for darker skies in the summer, as there doesn’t seem to be any 😂. So a quick peep at the low moon was all I could manage unfortunately.

Jobs to do before Autumn - I feel like I’ve jumped off the deep end of a swimming pool whilst struggling to swim!

Recheck Lat / Long and current time?

Work out how the mount knows where it is pointing? Learn to park, unpark, set park etc.

Understand the difference between off set innit and syncing?

Pick a suitable software package for tracking / modelling the sky.

Try and polar align the mount, drift / software / polar scope?

Work out adaptors and spacing for my camera / telescope / flattener.

Buy a guide camera and learn PHD … oh the joy!

Beg for assistance from anyone that can offer assistance to a fledgling new starter 😊.

So first light of the moon taken with my phone, held up to the eyepiece. A long journey awaits possibly full of self doubt, angst and a large dollop of trepidation.

Thanks for reading.

0EC6A832-6FB8-4D63-9DB6-B97313244212.jpeg

6D57EC84-D0B6-4D2C-9F50-F694A0624198.jpeg

Well you certainly have jumped in the deep end.

Enjoy the learning process. 

• Like 1

Mesu 200 autoguiding very well last night. The total RMS varied between 0.14-0.25 ". I find that amazing!

Software: Prism v.10: the autoguiding tab has both centroid and full frame guiding, I used full frame guiding

Parameters: Aggression RA+DEC: 0.6, Minimum move: 0.2 pixel

Guider image scale: 1.27 "/pixel

Image scale: 0.92"/pixel

In the Calculations Tab look at "Both Error (current exposure:)" :)

In the Distribution Tab, the white square is 1x1 pixel !

remmina_Quick Connect_192.168.1.21_2021724-03225.png

remmina_Quick Connect_192.168.1.21_2021723-195136.png

Edited by dan_adi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1