Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eskimo nebula

wheresthetorch?

I tracked down the Eskimo Nebula (NGC 2392) for the first time tonight.  Looked like an out of focus star through an 8" reflector, and took a magnification of 150x ok, at which point I think I could see a central star with averted vision.

Really chuffed to have seen it for the first time.  

• Like 10

Nice one !

I was looking at that one with my 12 inch dob earlier. The central star is clearly visible. With some averted vision you can see a sort of 2 layered appearance to the nebula with the central star in the brighter core surrounded by a fainter "halo" which I think is supposed to be the hood of the Eskimo's parka !

Using a filter such as an O-III or UHC slightly enhances the 2-layer look but makes the central star harder to see.

It is a nice planetary nebula :smiley:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wheresthetorch? said:

I tracked down the Eskimo Nebula (NGC 2392) for the first time tonight.  Looked like an out of focus star through an 8" reflector, and took a magnification of 150x ok, at which point I think I could see a central star with averted vision.

Really chuffed to have seen it for the first time.  

With these small , bright PNs , increasing the mag helps nicely in bringing out the shells and central star as they have high surface brightness .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Voyager 3 said:

With these small , bright PNs , increasing the mag helps nicely in bringing out the shells and central star as they have high surface brightness .

Yep - I was using 338x to observe the Eskimo last night with my 12 inch dob.

• Like 3