SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Upgrading from EQ5

On 10/02/2021 at 21:18, ddm4313 said:

What are my upgrade options? I was looking at HEQ5 Pro or EQ6-R pro.

What an open ended question... How the hell can we tell you what your options are..... We have no idea of your budget, your interests or what you intend to do (visual or imaging!).

Both mounts you list are decent, and each have pros and cons, but none of us can advise which would suit a particular use or need as you've failed to mention what those are...

Come back with some more detailed information and then other members can voice their opinions

Your upgrade option are those you mention. Those and models above. 😐

Edited by Jamgood

52 minutes ago, Jamgood said:

Your upgrade option are those you mention. Those and models above. 😐

We don't know... he may have the budget for an EQ8, an Avalon etc... and we don't know what it's going to be carrying, if he's also considering upgrading the OTA as well

7 hours ago, malc-c said:

What an open ended question... How the hell can we tell you what your options are..... We have no idea of your budget, your interests or what you intend to do (visual or imaging!).

Both mounts you list are decent, and each have pros and cons, but none of us can advise which would suit a particular use or need as you've failed to mention what those are...

Come back with some more detailed information and then other members can voice their opinions

What happened to the concept that "there is never a silly question on this forum" ?

If some more info would be helpful to make suggestions, why not ask some questions ?

Maybe the OP is not sure what information to offer up to get some suggestions of upgrade options ?

Edited by John
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Malc, it was the ‘how the hell’ bit that is a little more problematic...

Fair point... just my manor of "speaking"... part of the problem with text rather than "voice",  was meant to be a humorous " how the hell" as in let me get my crystal ball out  as we're not psychic rather than having a pop !

1 minute ago, malc-c said:

Fair point... just my manor of "speaking"... part of the problem with text rather than "voice",  was meant to be a humorous " how the hell" as in let me get my crystal ball out  as we're not psychic rather than having a pop !

I understand, it can be tricky. Perhaps the use of a smiley or two could be worth considering to make sure no offence is taken? 😀

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John said:

What happened to the concept that "there is never a silly question on this forum" ?

If some more info would be helpful to make suggestions, why not ask some questions ?

Maybe the OP is not sure what information to offer up to get some suggestions of upgrade options ?

John,

I did ask the questions... asking them to come back with more info, rather than speculate and make the post look interrogating

2 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Gone into hiding maybe after you lot threw your hand bags around! 😂Behave the lot of you or there will be hell to pay! 

Wow, now I know what it feels to have mod powers🤣🤣🤣

And to the mods, did you see how I used the emojis?

M

We have powers you can only dream of Malc 🤣🤣🤣

Nice emojis 👍👍

• Confused 1

Ok, lets see if we can help... seeing my OP was taken in the wrong context...

In order to best advise we need to know a little more about your current set up and what you personally are looking at using either of the two mounts for.  It would also be useful to know if you are looking for a portable set up or something that you may consider being permanently mounted in the garden.

Both mounts you mention are quite capable in terms of load bearing and precision.  The EQ6-R has a 9KG payload advantage over the HEQ5, but the HEQ5 has a weight advantage of 7Kg over the EQ6-R,  and whilst both are portable, each will soon become heavy if you are considering carting them to a dark remote site some distance from where you park the car, the EQ6-R more so !!.  If you are persuaded towards the HEQ5, then look at the belt drive variation - it's well worth the improvement.  Cost wise, the EQ6-R is £350 more expensive over the HEQ5 with the Rowan belt modification.

Anyway, that's something for you to consider.   

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ddm4313 said:

Nice one.

Glad to see it was taken in the same spirit it was typed. We will, as you can see, help where we can. Give us a nudge with a few more details and see how we excel at answering. Though, don't expect everyone to have the same silly sense of humour as me 😜

Steve