SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Canon DSLR remote control video question.

ollypenrice

I'm stuck! I want to use my 250D for video on a new gimbal which arrived recently. If I plug in the remote cable to connect the camera to the gimbal and use the gimbal's 'half press' equivalent, the camera responds and focuses. But it won't start recording with a long press. Suspecting the gimbal I tried a Canon remote shutter button (with the same cable connection as used by the gimbal) and it behaves in the same way. Focus yes, shoot footage no. I have gone into camera settings and enabled 'Remote' but I still can't initiate capture other than with the little red button on the camera body, which is not practical with the gimbal.

What am I missing? Cheers,

Olly

I'm not familiar with this camera, but on Canons I have owned (and still do) video recording is not possible via a shutter release cable, but taking a photo whilst in video mode is (hence why yours focuses on half a press maybe)?

A quick look online and you can get a wireless (bluetooth) remote, or maybe an app on your phone will do the same thing? (initiate video recording I mean). Do you have to set it to video capture via a toggle on the rear (some Canons had a button to swap between still and video I believe).

Just had a look in my camera setting and found the option to use the shutter button to start/stop video as follows.

Make sure camera is in video mode----->menu (red section with camera icon)------>page 5 then button function.

This allows you to assign various functions to the shutter button or indeed a remote connected to the jack socket.

I am sure your camera menus will be different but hope this helps.

Alan

P.S. my camera was already set this way but had forgotten about it as I use the Canon Camera Connect app most of the time for video.

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonk said:

I'm not familiar with this camera, but on Canons I have owned (and still do) video recording is not possible via a shutter release cable, but taking a photo whilst in video mode is (hence why yours focuses on half a press maybe)?

A quick look online and you can get a wireless (bluetooth) remote, or maybe an app on your phone will do the same thing? (initiate video recording I mean). Do you have to set it to video capture via a toggle on the rear (some Canons had a button to swap between still and video I believe).

1 hour ago, haitch said:

Presuming it's Wi-Fi and works like my mirrorless M50, I reckon your best solution might be the Canon app on a smartphone (if you're an Apple user the Cascable app is a worthwhile updgrade)

No, this isn't a WiFi connection. The idea is to connect the camera via cable to the gimbal carrying it, so as to have the start-stop record button right next to the gimbal controls. The cable connections are all there and there is a mode button on the gimbal to toggle between normal shooting and video but this has no effect that I can see!

1 hour ago, Alien 13 said:

Just had a look in my camera setting and found the option to use the shutter button to start/stop video as follows.

Make sure camera is in video mode----->menu (red section with camera icon)------>page 5 then button function.

This allows you to assign various functions to the shutter button or indeed a remote connected to the jack socket.

Alan

P.S. my camera was already set this way but had forgotten about it as I use the Canon Camera Connect app most of the time for video.

Thanks Alan, I think it will be something like this causing the problem. I'll go and see if I can find an equivalent in my menu.

Olly

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

Alan

On my D200 (which I believe is the precursor of the D250) its on Menu tab 4:

image.png.6af4cf76c28b829a2bb14e1d1a17c470.png

image.png.033f4d137b7414cc1a498f9f206f563e.png

• Like 1