SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky-Watcher Price Increases

FLO

On 10/02/2021 at 16:49, FLO said:

In the current circumstances we should expect price increases. But, as consumers we should also expect prices to reduce when shipping costs reduce and hold feet to the fire if they don't. 

Steve 

How do we do that Steve?
We either buy their kit or we don’t and I cannot see us not. Other manufactures will be watching the ‘customer mood’ on increases and if they think they can make more by holding prices up they will. Astro gear is niche and hence a monopoly for the big fish. 

I’d be amazed to see the SW 1.75” tripod for £109 ever again.

• Like 2

<ramble>

I think I’ve said recently elsewhere that no one is forcing us to buy at the moment - unless it’s to replace a broken item.

However, by not making our usual “oooo prettyyyyy, I want I want I want” purchases, our suppliers will suffer. That is something we need to do our best to prevent.

It’s a very difficult balancing act.

Probably why I’ve continued buying kit, despite rising prices, where I think I need - filters/correctors - or want - 8” StellaLyra this year and a RASA 8 mid past year. And that’s despite the fact I’ve had 2 working nights in the last 12 months.

</ramble>

I'm sure lots of people will still buy plenty of the big ticket items. It's the big bang for your buck 'beginner' dobsonians that are less affordable now across the board for someone starting out who might not have much of a budget.

It's just a sad fact that high(er) prices for entry-level kit limit the accessibility of any hobby. (I speak as the wife of a Warhammer nut - a hobby that makes astro look very reasonably-priced 😆)

MiladyB x

2 hours ago, Louis D said:

Why?  Last I checked we don't live in a state run economy.

Neither the poster that I replied to don’t live in the USA, and in the UK there are regulations covering price rises including on existing stock.

In the USA I understand there is also regulation to cover price gouging, at least where prices are increased by >10% in a state of emergency.

3 hours ago, iapa said:

Neither the poster that I replied to don’t live in the USA, and in the UK there are regulations covering price rises including on existing stock.

In the USA I understand there is also regulation to cover price gouging, at least where prices are increased by >10% in a state of emergency.

I can't Imagine enforcing those new old stock laws on ebay where people pick up new old stock from store foreclosures and estate sales.  Who knows how much a 45 year old, unused socket wrench set originally sold for in the 1970s.

• 8 months later...

Looks like prices have increased another 21% for Sky-Watcher products in the US in 2022. Two weeks ago, I ordered an EQ6-R Pro from FLO and I paid less (including shipping) than what it's going for now in the States. It went up from US$1675 to $2025, or £1233 to £1491 as of this comment.

• Sad 1

On 11/01/2022 at 00:01, jtheprogenitor said:

Looks like prices have increased another 21% for Sky-Watcher products in the US in 2022. Two weeks ago, I ordered an EQ6-R Pro from FLO and I paid less (including shipping) than what it's going for now in the States. It went up from US$1675 to $2025, or £1233 to £1491 as of this comment.

Sky-Watcher's UK importer/distributor hasn't mentioned a 2022 price rise but Celestron (Sky-Watcher & Celestron are both owned/manufactured by Synta) increased their prices only recently so we would not be surprised if Sky-Watcher do too.