Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky-Watcher Price Increases

FLO

12 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

Point of order - its either 'over' OR 'out' it cannot ever be both. 😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃🙃

'Over' means over to you.

'Out' means conversation end.

As a mariner it annoys me to hear that phrase in films etc

"say again , over "

• Haha 2

I always thought the esprit range (in particular the 120) was extremely good value anyway, so although I’ll be paying around 10% more than a few weeks ago it won’t stop me from ordering one when funds are available late March. I guess it’s just a sign of the times at the moment - over ..... 😊

• Like 2

16 hours ago, FLO said:

Welcome to SGL! 

What you claim is not true. Our price changed back when this discussion was started. It has not moved even £1 today. 

Oh Malcolm!

Consider how many UK astronomy retailers have closed their doors over the years. Telescope House (now owned by Bresser-Germany), Telescope Planet, Venturescope, Scopes'n'Skies, Pulsar Optical, Astronomy & Nature Centre, Astronomia, F1telescopes, Greenwich, David Hinds... Together with others I have probably forgotten. Were they all profiteering too? 

With stock as scarce as it is we will still be dispatching customer backorders at pre-increase prices well into late summer / early Autumn. Many at little or no profit, because it is the right thing to do. We will not extend this sentiment to someone joining SGL only to complain about a price increase that affects all UK retailers. 

Steve 

I'm really sad to hear about Astronomy & Nature Centre closing. Their videos on You Tube are absolutely superb - really helpful and informative but really watchable. 

Best wishes to the proprietors!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Peter_D said:

I'm really sad to hear about Astronomy & Nature Centre closing. Their videos on You Tube are absolutely superb - really helpful and informative but really watchable. 

They've just started releasing videos again, though. Not sure what this means regarding the status of the shop.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

As a mariner it annoys me to hear that phrase in films etc

As an aviator, it annoys me too 😬

“Copy that” is the worst... what did you actually copy 🤔If a clearance is given to you, you MUST read it back, so they can confirm you heard it correctly... otherwise accidents happen 😮

Sorry... digression again... straight back to topic 😃

Edited by HollyHound

On 12/02/2021 at 20:25, MiladyB said:

As gutting as it is for consumers, it's the sellers who will lose out on orders at least in the short term - since wages haven't risen in line with the prices. I feel for the retailers as most will squeeze their profits in order to try to maintain sales. It's effectively a bubble, though, and hopefully the market will self-correct soon.

I’m not so sure they will loose out. It’s about supply and demand, as long as there is a demand regardless of price then prices will remain high  or go up. 

If we all stopped buying astro gear then of course manufactures would have to decrease prices to stoke demand. I for one am not prepared to do so. 

Anyway skywatcher kit is underpriced anyway. 

Ken 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Peter_D said:

Yes I wads sad to hear this also. Like you I've always felt their videos on YouTube were informative, easy to understand and great review videos that have helped me choose my equipment, best wishes to them. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ken82 said:

If we all stopped buying astro gear then of course manufactures would have to decrease prices to stoke demand. I for one am not prepared to do so. 

Anyway skywatcher kit is underpriced anyway. 

Ken 

Totally get what you're saying. There's likely to be a natural ceiling on what many people will/can budget for good quality 'introduction to the hobby' type gear though - the sub £500 first setup end of the market may level off more quickly purely because higher prices may cause consumers to go for smaller aperture models, or price them out entirely.

There's probably quite a contrast between that end of the market and the dedicated hobbyist who spends £1500 upgrading to a next model up mount, for example.

Edited by MiladyB
Clarity and spelling
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

just a thought, while the collective "WE" are bemoaning these price rises, please spare a thought for the team at First Light Optics, who throughout this pandemic have continued to serve us with the same quality service which we now accept as normal, and be grateful for their commitment to their customers,  I for one have nothing but praise for them all, 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tonylumley said:

just a thought, while the collective "WE" are bemoaning these price rises, please spare a thought for the team at First Light Optics, who throughout this pandemic have continued to serve us with the same quality service which we now accept as normal, and be grateful for their commitment to their customers,  I for one have nothing but praise for them all, 

Here, here  👏

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...