sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Just your average, but not, beginner

I've always gotten off on understanding orbital mechanics, knowing where everything is in the night sky and never looking through a telescope. Really, the last time I looked through one was 15 years ago. It may sound silly but keeping it simple has made it so I enjoy the sky, more. I get a kick out of noticing say Saturn and Jupiter aligning and then it popping up in the news as we got closer, without anticipating it for 2 years only to have it be cloudy on the night of closest alignment. I do complicated stuff for a living and just having this subject here that's infinitely complex, that I'm interested in that I learn about on my terms, it's been a liberating life experience.

Well I'm ready to grow up and of course I pick a time where everything is like right by the sun :D

So where do I start? Clearly the moon, Mars and Venus are all awesome first targets but I can't see any tonight!

I'm on Long Island so I have the uber light pollution of NYC so I'm sure that's a huge factor. Here's my entry level telescope https://www.telescope.com/Orion-SkyScanner-100mm-TableTop-Reflector-Telescope/p/102007.uts

Thanks everyone!

• Like 2