SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Integrated Flux Nebula and a couple of old friends

peter shah

Can't really say this is a shot of M81 and M82, although they are both smack in the centre of the field! Ultra wide field Integrated Flux Nebula around M81 and M82. Imaged from Spain with the 105 sigma Lens and the ZWO2600 OSC, 5hrs total exposure, 300s subs. 

I've also reprocessed my old data set taken with my AG12 from the UK, I merged the two to bring out some colour in 81 and 82

Thanks for looking

Peter Shah

Reprocessed version with better star colour and background contrast showing some of the fainter stuff

J8DL09SuELtn_16536x0_b9muqi8S.jpg

Original Process

lkvRcdB1IHot_16536x0_b9muqi8S.jpg

SO6gpMgM10sh_16536x0_b9muqi8S.jpg

Edited by peter shah
New rendition
  • Like 29

Wow, what depth in 5 hours, is this the 105 f1.4, do you keep the lens wide open , or shut down?

I'm just starting a widefield run on this target myself tonight, between clouds☹️

It won't be this wide, just 5x3 degrees

Huw

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Horwig said:

Wow, what depth in 5 hours, is this the 105 f1.4, do you keep the lens wide open , or shut down?

I'm just starting a widefield run on this target myself tonight, between clouds☹️

It won't be this wide, just 5x3 degrees

Huw

Thank you Huw....The Sigma is an F1.4 running at F2 to help the corners

33 minutes ago, Kon said:

That's amazing! I love the nebulosity around!

Thank you

35 minutes ago, daz said:

I like the IC2574 (swirly galaxy, left of the blue star, to the left of M81)

Thank you Daz.... I noticed that too, I'm going to add it to my target list. 😉

9 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Oh my goodness! This is incredible Peter. 

Thank you... I always though this region was lacking in colour but was quite surprised  to find it does actually show some subtle tones in the IFN

23 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Excellent image.

This will help me with my slow, ongoing visual detection of IFN in this area. Having seen a bit of IFN in other areas Im always on the look out and have been doing the "Marty Feldman" near M81/M82 for years.

@peter shah have you imaged IFN near M31?

Superb work Peter.

Wow visual thats no mean feat........Not done any IFN around M31....although I do have an M31 data set I took with this kit  that I haven't even looked at yet....

41 minutes ago, Stuf1978 said:

Wow, look at that IFN 🤯 great work

many Thanks 

17 hours ago, astro mick said:

Very impressive.

Thank you

• Like 1

I have done a reprocess, I felt the black although not clipped I had hidden some of the real faint stuff causing it to look a little contrasty ....Plus I was never happy with the star colour... so I've done some work on that.

J8DL09SuELtn_16536x0_b9muqi8S.jpg

Edited by peter shah
  • Like 2

I'm almost positive now that I've been targeting the wrong spot. I go by Bartles sketches but his orientation confuses me. If you do process M31 with IFN it would be great to confirm if the extremely faint shade edge off the end of it I saw was real lol!

Super super imaging!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream said:

I'm almost positive now that I've been targeting the wrong spot. I go by Bartles sketches but his orientation confuses me. If you do process M31 with IFN it would be great to confirm if the extremely faint shade edge off the end of it I saw was real lol!

Super super imaging!

You have me thinking about that now... when I get around to processing it I will take a close look for the IFN

• Like 1