Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tomorrow looking great!

Stardaze

Well this hasn't happened for some time, looking forward and getting prepared. I need to swat up and pick some harder than normal targets. Haven't been out much since December and typically take in the usual highlights at this time (M42, M45, M37, Perseus double cluster etc) Any ideas taken with thanks. 

783451995_Screenshot2021-02-09at18_12_56.thumb.png.f585cb96b66cf4a9bec216a3abf48e7e.png

Edited by Stardaze
  • Like 1

I have a few faint fuzzy targets in mind. I've no idea what is likely to be visible with my scope and my skies, but they are well placed in a direction of dark sky, just now.

• Thor's Helmet - NGC 2359
  • M46 cluster and NGC 2438 planetary nebula therein 
  • Ghost of Jupiter - NGC 3242
  • The Leo I Group - of galaxies  M95, M96 & M105
  • The Leo Triplet
  • Markarian's Chain
  • and other bright galaxies in the Virgo cluster  - eg M49, M60 and M87

I've no idea how optimistic I'm being, but I'll give them all a shot over 2 nights.

If anyone has any good suggestions, drop me a note?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Pixies said:

I have a few faint fuzzy targets in mind. I've no idea what is likely to be visible with my scope and my skies, but they are well placed in a direction of dark sky, just now.

• The Leo Triplet
  • Markarian's Chain

I've no idea how optimistic I'm being, but I'll give them all a shot over 2 nights.

There’s no snow around here so I am very hopeful. I’ll have a swat up tomorrow but quite a few of those are going to be better later on in the evening, I’m not sure I have the staying power for a late one in sub zero temps. 

Yesterday the fog was freezing, and that means on every surface. My pickup had a sheet of ice on its entire surface. Now a winter storm/freezing rain warning has been issued for my area. About daylight it is expected to set in. Accumulating predicted to be between 1/4”-3/4” (10-18mm). Snow is one thing, but a coating of ice on EVERYTHING really causes problems beyond the cloud cover creating the event. Living in a forest makes it interesting when trees start shedding limbs, or crashing down whole. Our last such freezing rain storm resulted in our forest sounding like a war was going on. It caused major issues region-wide. The slightest puff of wind passed through the woods and was followed by a wave of cracks and booms. No trees can threaten our little house, but the 5/8 mile of our private road to public access might see several trees fall, or have large vehicle-stopping limbs ripped down. Oh well, fresh gas and bar oil are in my sharp chainsaw, and my pulling straps/chains are handy. It’s been 2 weeks since it was last clear here in hillbilly land. I brought this gloom all on myself, I bought a new mount then I finished a small diy refractor, which was compounded by an order of magnitude by me buying a SVBony SV105 usb eyepiece camera. I might have tilted the earth axis when I downloaded some (most usual stuff, ASCOM, Sterllium etc) software for the wife’s laptop. I can’t take the blame for y’all on other continents not having clear skies, but to my fellow mid Americans I am sorry. I promise not to tweak the little alt/az (hardware or software) to carry the 60 refractor no matter how much I mess about with other Arduino based stuff and want to add dip switches, and maybe encoders, to select motor step speed max’s as well as possible tracking schemes. Spring is coming, and by the stars the clouds will thin!!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pixies said:

• The Leo Triplet
  • Markarian's Chain

Just been looking at Stellarium and for my position really needs 2am-4am to get any useful view of the Virgo galaxies, so not on a school night. I'll probably have a look around M31 early on in the West to see how the viewing is and work around Perseus and Auriga. Virgo will have to wait till April I reckon, the Eastern view for me is just too obstructed. Leo is do-able at a reasonable hour. 

Edited by Stardaze

16 hours ago, Stardaze said:

Well this hasn't happened for some time, looking forward and getting prepared. I need to swat up and pick some harder than normal targets. Haven't been out much since December and typically take in the usual highlights at this time (M42, M45, M37, Perseus double cluster etc) Any ideas taken with thanks. 

783451995_Screenshot2021-02-09at18_12_56.thumb.png.f585cb96b66cf4a9bec216a3abf48e7e.png

For me, Clear Outside is showing a complete switch from what it was saying yesterday. Now, Thursday looks to be better. However, MeteoBlue has tomorrow to be poor! I do wish the British weather would make up its mind :wink2:

1294361412_Weeksweather.thumb.jpg.67348c93147e7073e93ab7cc6d50e1d5.jpg

Ian

• Sad 1

Back in now but had a very enjoyable 2 and a half hours out. Packed away an icy telescope to thaw out in the garage, the heaters kept the mirrors nice and clear. Super evening though concentrating on clusters predominately and all the usual favourites. Even took a quick pic at half time of Orion over next door.1548656825__KPR4693copy.thumb.jpg.43f0b57ab26c8d53149398e30c4e21b1.jpg

Edited by Stardaze

Just come in after a couple of hours but,  my word it’s cold!!! The main reason I’ve come in, 4 pairs of socks and walking boots and my feet are frozen. 
Got my first real view of M78 though and M42 was spectacular, the best I’ve ever seen it! Through the 17.5mm Morpheus and a UHC filter. Tried it with and without the filter which I’ve never really done before and it was stunning with the filter, I don’t normally use them. I found it looked a lot bigger as more nebulosity became visible. The Christmas Tree cluster (but no Cone Nebula) and a couple of other open clusters before I surrendered to the cold 🥶 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Just come in after a couple of hours but,  my word it’s cold!!! The main reason I’ve come in, 4 pairs of socks and walking boots and my feet are frozen. 
Got my first real view of M78 though and M42 was spectacular, the best I’ve ever seen it! Through the 17.5mm Morpheus and a UHC filter. Tried it with and without the filter which I’ve never really done before and it was stunning with the filter, I don’t normally use them. I found it looked a lot bigger as more nebulosity became visible. The Christmas Tree cluster (but no Cone Nebula) and a couple of other open clusters before I surrendered to the cold 🥶 

Awesome. What filter are you using? I thought M42 looked great tonight too, that hole in the middle really is something. 

Just now, Stardaze said:

Awesome. What filter are you using? I thought M42 looked great tonight too, that hole in the middle really is something. 

I used the Astronomik UHC...Very impressed, it slightly blurred the stars in the nebula but darkened the background bringing out a larger expanse of nebulosity, without the filter the stars were brighter and sharper but the nebulae retreated. you’re absolutely right M42 was the best I’ve ever seen it

2 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

I used the Astronomik UHC...Very impressed, it slightly blurred the stars in the nebula but darkened the background bringing out a larger expanse of nebulosity, without the filter the stars were brighter and sharper but the nebulae retreated. you’re absolutely right M42 was the best I’ve ever seen it

I still haven’t gotten round to buying one of those filters, only have the OIII. Will get one at some point.

• Like 1