Jump to content

sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

CLEAR SKIES ALL NIGHT IN MOST PLACES - WED 10TH TO THUR 11TH !!


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, F15Rules said:

Yes, Les, I'm old enough! (65 2 days ago😱).

I learned quite a lot of star names from almost memorising Patrick Moore's "Observers Book of Astronomy", a little pocket gem of a book back in the 1960's👍.

I actually picked one up on eBay a few years ago for about £2!

Dave 

Belated happy birthday Dave!

I hope you can handle being 65 😊

Any chance of getting your old avatar back? I can see you might want to relive your rock and rolls years, but the scope pic was much better - and much more eye catching 😊

Edited by JeremyS
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldnt normally put clear skies in a post on this forum - but up here it's a rare event to be clear all night at the moment.  We've not had an all nighter for some weeks and for the last week or tw

Well, I started this thread as it looked to be set fair for me on 10/11th.  As it turned out I had rotten skies and saw virtually no starlight.  Last night it was even worse.  I'll certainly not be po

“I’m just going outside and I may be some time”.  Cpt Oates.  RIP 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Belated happy birthday Dave!

I hope you can handle being 65 😊

Any chance of getting your old avatar back? I can see you might want to relive your rock and rolls years, but the scope pic was much better - and much more eye catching 😊

Tell you what, Jeremy..I'll restore my old avatar if you change yours to one where you're not trying to lift your handle-less observatory with one hand ..might be easier if you actually fitted a handle and used both hands? :rolleyes2:😜:)

Edited by F15Rules
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We've had no proper clear skies at all other than the odd 20 mins here and there.  Certainly nothing suitable for astrophotography.  I got in a bit of time with the Dob but seeing was rubbish.

It has been brutal for astronomy since last summer.  Utterly terrible.  Winter is now the off-season in astronomy in these parts.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

We've had no proper clear skies at all other than the odd 20 mins here and there.  Certainly nothing suitable for astrophotography.  I got in a bit of time with the Dob but seeing was rubbish.

It has been brutal for astronomy since last summer.  Utterly terrible.  Winter is now the off-season in astronomy in these parts.

In 2020 I managed about 4 images with my DSLR, and that was with no other commitments, so anytime it was clear skies, I was ready. 

So far this year I've managed to get one image.

Edited by smr
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Yes, Les, I'm old enough! (65 2 days ago😱).

I learned quite a lot of star names from almost memorising Patrick Moore's "Observers Book of Astronomy", a little pocket gem of a book back in the 1960's👍.

I actually picked one up on eBay a few years ago for about £2!

Dave 

Another star that seems to have changed its name over years is Alkaid I knew it as Benetnasch in the 70's. Regarding the Observers books I have two editions the 4th issued in 1973 which I inscribed 20th April 1974. I have also have the 6th edition which I didn't inscribe which is the 1978 revision. The 6th has particularly beautiful plates-drawings of Jupiter and Saturn by LF Ball. Another original book I have is Dr HC King's Book Of Astronomy(1966) which I've had since 1972 (which is now more than a little bit dog eared). As far as I know no further editions of this book were printed .

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Les Ewan I used to live just down the street from LF Ball, I visited his garden observatory with (I think) a 10" Newt , great guy. He gave me my first mirror a 6/34" F10, it was perfectly figured and gave me wonderful views of the planets.  

I also have Dr HC King's Book Of Astronomy(1966) , and my favourite was the Larousse encyclopedia of Astronomy with M31 on the cover.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/02/2021 at 10:07, F15Rules said:

Yes, Les, I'm old enough! (65 2 days ago😱).

I learned quite a lot of star names from almost memorising Patrick Moore's "Observers Book of Astronomy", a little pocket gem of a book back in the 1960's👍.

I actually picked one up on eBay a few years ago for about £2!

Dave 

I had one of those. 😁 I also had the Field guide to the stars and Planets, which was easyy beyond me at the time. I thought it had gone, so i got a replacement, only to find my original copy 1st edition a bit later. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fraunhoffer said:

I had one of those. 😁 I also had the Field guide to the stars and Planets, which was easyy beyond me at the time. I thought it had gone, so i got a replacement, only to find my original copy 1st edition a bit later. 

 

I too had one of those...by Donald Menzel as I recall? Really nice, well produced and high quality printed book☺️.

Hmm, maybe I should look for another one😁..

Dave

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I anticipate it being clear until about midnight. Unfortunately the 75% Moon dampens enthusiasm somewhat! 

I'm sure that thing orbits the full-moon half of its orbit more slowly than the new-moon half :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's my Birthday tomorrow, a few hours of clear skies tonight is all the Birthday present I want! Hopefully first light with my new 2600MC-Pro.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Paul M said:

I anticipate it being clear until about midnight. Unfortunately the 75% Moon dampens enthusiasm somewhat! 

I'm sure that thing orbits the full-moon half of its orbit more slowly than the new-moon half :)

Here in Lancashire, the cloud has arrived already! Crystal clear skies most of the day, and forecast to remain so until about 9pm. I was part way through setting my kit up, looked up and the sky and most of the stars have disappeared. A scan of the western horizon with binoculars reveals nothing but more cloud, so all packed away again. I bought an ZWO ASI533 back in September, and apart from two nights then, the only thing it has imaged has been a couple of trees and Southport water tower.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Clear here so for my second image ever I’m having a go at Bode’s galaxy..... About an hours worth done and still very clear. The moon is bright but hey ho we’ll see what happens..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a clear 90 minutes or so here in the West Midlands. Transparency looked very poor but I set up to image anyway. More of a sanity check than anything as last weeks clear night was a disaster as my guiding was all over the place. My polar alignment was a bit sloppy last week so I took extra care this evening and all is well again with guiding. Packed away now as high cloud overhead but I've thrown the Heritage 150 out for a peek at the moon.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Set up just after dark. Left scope to cool for 40 mins and came back out to a high thin haze with some thicker rolls of cloud. Poor transparency and a milky sky with the scattered moonlight. First "clear" night in ages; its so frustrating. Oh well, good practice in setting up/taking down the kit! Hope the rest of you are having a better time :). Nice moon though!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.