Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Red Dot scope advice

The QuikFinder will pop off if you catch it on the door frame while carrying the scope out.  Being so light, it will just clatter harmless to the ground.  How do I know this?  I've done it a few times.

The Telrad is quite firmly attached with screws to the base and won't come off if caught on a door frame.  It is robust enough, though, that I've yet to have it break because of it.

I use both.  I prefer the Telrad when space on the scope allows it because the circles are thicker, easier to acquire, and go out to 4 degrees.  The QuikFinder circles are really thin, can be a pain to locate in the window, and only go out to 2 degrees.  However, it's really the only good option for small scopes.

I keep my Quikfinder off the scope when I'm moving the 12 inch dob around and when it's stored. It clips on and off quite easily and seems to hold the alignment with the main scope quite well.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

On 09/02/2021 at 10:00, John said:

I keep my Quikfinder off the scope when I'm moving the 12 inch dob around and when it's stored. It clips on and off quite easily and seems to hold the alignment with the main scope quite well.

So do I now that I've knocked it off a couple of times. ☺️

The Telrad arrived today, fabulous service from FLO. Mounted on the scope and I have to say even though I haven't been able to align it yet or even get outside, it fits the scope perfectly. (Even if I don't know what scope I've got, it's the 70/900 not the 70/700). 

Can't wait for some clear skies now to properly try it out. 

Again, a massive thank you to everyone for their advice regarding the different options, it is very much appreciated.

IMG_0769.thumb.jpeg.6d6bbf4aacb3f356a82b5f9235cd9343.jpeg

• Like 1