Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Red Dot scope advice

I'm upgrading a couple of bits on my current scope (Bresser Skylux EL) to get the most out of it before I even consider changing scopes. I'm going to swap the stock eyepieces for the BST ones that are recommended on here, but I was after peoples advice/thoughts on replacing the finderscope for and RDS. The one I'm looking at is the Celestron Starpointer Pro and wondered if anyone has any experience of this one? I'm leaning more towards this RDS because of the reticle it gives, rather than just a single red dot that may obscure what I'm trying to look at.

Any advice/thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Edited by NorfolkGazer

I acquired one of those on a second-hand scope I bought and I've replaced it, I did not get on with it. As "normal" RDFs seem to go it's ok, maybe better than an actual RDF (dot) but the mounting is a bit wobbly and the display is, for me, too bright even on the lowest setting. Not trying to put you off it but the Rigel or Telrad finders are vastly better for only a little more money, even if their aesthetics aren't very pleasing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NorfolkGazer said:

Thanks for the replies.

The foot was a thought when I first looked at it, I may have to modify it to fit the Bresser.

I'll have a look at the Rigel and Telrad's as well. Cheers.

I forgot to mention - the Telrad is quite a brick, just be aware it's not small. The Rigel has a smaller footprint but is tall instead. If you go with either, just know that first.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NorfolkGazer said:

the Celestron Starpointer Pro

I bought one of these. It would not work at all till I inserted a piece of foil to complete the battery circuit, rather than send it back.  The display is too bright even on the minimum setting.  It does come with several alternate mountings.  I eventually installed it as a second finder for coarse finding of GoTo alignment stars.

Not recommended.

• Like 1

Hi mate if your quick there is a telrad for sale on Astro buy and sale new but very cheap Telrads are great and worth getting 

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=168676

I did have that RDF it's ok not as good as the telrad that's why I changed to a telrad

This one is a little more 

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=170856

Edited by Neil H
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NorfolkGazer said:

So am I right in thinking that with the Telrad, you stick the mounting base to the scope then the RDF attaches to that base?

Probably a dumb question but just wanted to make sure before I jumped in.

Cheers.

It comes with sticky pads that you use to attach the base with, then the finder is retained on the base, yes. Two thumbscrews and it fits so the alignment is preserved.

EDIT: general advice is to try the base with zip-ties or something such before committing to the sticky pads for final attachment once you're happy with positioning.

Edited by wulfrun
  • Like 2

You might find that the smaller footprint of the Rigel Quikfinder looks more at home on the thin tube of the Skylux EL which I recall is a long 70mm aperture refractor ?

It fits in a similar way to the Telrad - a base that you stick to the scope tube and the finder then clips on and off that. I use one on my 12 inch dobsonian.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, John said:

You might find that the smaller footprint of the Rigel Quikfinder looks more at home on the thin tube of the Skylux EL which I recall is a long 70mm aperture refractor ?

It fits in a similar way to the Telrad - a base that you stick to the scope tube and the finder then clips on and off that. I use one on my 12 inch dobsonian.

Yeah its a 70-700 refractor. I think that they both have great positives, and don't think that either will look out of place. I'm thinking the Rigel will be around the same height as the basic finderscope that is attached to the Skylux currently. I'll have read on both of them, IIRC the Rigel has pulse built in where the Telrad needs a retro fit kit. Cheers for the advice.

If you wanted to see what a Rigel looks like mounted on a refractor rather than a Dob (only pictures I could find were Dobs!) this is my new one on a 90/660 refractor and a size comparison to a BST starguider (tho they are quite chunky!) :) 

I've only managed to use it once but its a huge step up from my standard red dot finder! It pretty much weighs the same as the original RDF to (I am not sure if a Telrad is heavier maybe?). Box came with two clip on / off bases (plus sticky stuff) of different mounting "roundness"(?) so just pick whichever fits the tube angle best.

Hope it helps!

newv1.jpg

Untitled.png

Edited by wibblefish
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, NorfolkGazer said:

Awesome. Thanks for that, I've been looking at the BST eyepieces on FLO so will add the Telrad to the shopping list.

Get your ruler or tape measure out, compare the telrad and rigel dimensions, and see where they would go on your tube .I did  that,  and it was a big factor in me choosing to go with the rigel. It didn't hurt that the rigel comes with two stick on bases (for different diameter tubes) and as well as having adjustable brightness, it has the ability to pulse on and off at variable speeds. Oh, and it is cheaper .

Telrad has a lot of devoted fans , but they do complain that telrads dew up rapidly, something I've yet to see on my rigel (admittedly after only  4 months use through this winter )

Heather

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NorfolkGazer said:

Yeah its a 70-700 refractor. I think that they both have great positives, and don't think that either will look out of place. I'm thinking the Rigel will be around the same height as the basic finderscope that is attached to the Skylux currently. I'll have read on both of them, IIRC the Rigel has pulse built in where the Telrad needs a retro fit kit. Cheers for the advice.

I don't use the pulse feature on my Rigel to be honest with you. 

• Like 1

Another bit of info, the Telrad itself is 220mm long (overall) and the base it goes on is 180mm x 60mm. Wise to check if you have space available and ideally you need to get up-close to the screen. You can get risers to lift it higher though. Swings and roundabouts eh?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NorfolkGazer said:

Here's my little 127 mak with Rigel and a 6x30 skywatcher RACI in place , not sure if the skylux finderscope is similar in height, but as you can see the SW and Rigel stand roughly the same as each other.

makracqf.jpg.3ff2a203578a055a259f9cb4ee39cf98.jpg

Heather

• Like 1

I might mock-up a cardboard model of each one and stick them on the scope, I think it is purely going to come down to size as I don't think there is much else between them. Again, thanks to everyone for the advice, it really has been a big help.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NorfolkGazer said:

I might mock-up a cardboard model of each one and stick them on the scope, I think it is purely going to come down to size as I don't think there is much else between them. Again, thanks to everyone for the advice, it really has been a big help.

A quick easy mock up of a Rigel could be made from the cardboard box some toothpaste tubes come in ... I just had a quick ferret through the bathroom cabinet, the box of a 100g tube of Colgate is about the right cross section, just needs about 40% of the length removing !

Heather

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

A quick easy mock up of a Rigel could be made from the cardboard box some toothpaste tubes come in ... I just had a quick ferret through the bathroom cabinet, the box of a 100g tube of Colgate is about the right cross section, just needs about 40% of the length removing !

Heather

Just tried this and it gives a very good idea of how it would sit, cheers for that. My only concern is knowing how clumsy I am I’d clatter it and knock it off the scope.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NorfolkGazer said:

Just tried this and it gives a very good idea of how it would sit, cheers for that. My only concern is knowing how clumsy I am I’d clatter it and knock it off the scope.

I cart the mak, mount and tripod in & out doors as a whole unit, ditto the little heritage dob and its low table, and am very likely to trip over the cat/bump into the door frame/trip over a plant pot in the process (just too lazy to take the kit apart, do extra trips and reassemble in the dark  🙂 ) , so what I do is keep the rigel in the case with my eyepieces. The base of the column  has a button you press in to engage/disengage it with the base, it just clicks in or out.

Bonus advantage : I don't forget the rigel is on the 'scope I left indoors and have to return for it  !

Heather

Edited by Tiny Clanger
missed a bit ...

6 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

I cart the mak, mount and tripod in & out doors as a whole unit, ditto the little heritage dob and its low table, and am very likely to trip over the cat/bump into the door frame/trip over a plant pot in the process (just too lazy to take the kit apart, do extra trips and reassemble in the dark  🙂 ) , so what I do is keep the rigel in the case with my eyepieces. The base of the column  has a button you press in to engage/disengage it with the base, it just clicks in or out.

Bonus advantage : I don't forget the rigel is on the 'scope I left indoors and have to return for it  !

Heather

Now that makes sense. 😀 I’d have a high likelihood of tripping over the dog, so taking it off between sessions is the better idea.

• Like 1