Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul G. Abel

Venus! (A Good match with MrEd!)

Greetings everyone! Dear me, whoever said winter was the best time to observe eh?

I was looking at MrEd's raths impressive picture showing cloud structure on Venus. Well here's a sketch of mine I made on Thursday 29th January showing very similar. I note that we both have the same sized telescopes. Hope you like it! (North is at the bottom)

Paul.

Venus290109-1.jpg

Paul

Well done. :(

Cloud detail on Venus is never easy to see

Cheers

Ian

I imaging sketching at the eyepiece, is a demanding task, but when the subject is Venus, even moreso. However, this is a fine looking job, and it does bear a striking resemblence to Ed's Image.

Nice one. :thumbright:

Ron. :(

Nice Paul

I have glimpsed them fleetingly recently.

for some reason clouds in the visible light

this season seem more obvious.

Perhaps a bit of churning going on in the lower

atmosphere???

Ed

Hi Paul

Just compared your excellent sketch against mine made on the same evening at 18:10 UT, and my sketch ties in very well with yours.

The cusps are bright, and it's interesting how the southern one extends more around the limb. (something that is showing up on all my recent observations).

With you using a 203mm reflector, do you find that you have to use filters?

Hi Paul

Just compared your excellent sketch against mine made on the same evening at 18:10 UT, and my sketch ties in very well with yours.

That is always nice to know! Perhaps you can send your observation to Dr. Richard McKim at the Venus section of the British Astronomical Association?

The cusps are bright, and it's interesting how the southern one extends more around the limb. (something that is showing up on all my recent observations).

Yes, and I think the darkest features for me at the moment are the ones near the northern limb. Can't wait to see Venus as a thin crescent!

With you using a 203mm reflector, do you find that you have to use filters?

No, I'm not really into filters (they cut down the light!). I can see the cloud markings in ordinary light. In the case of best, observing in twilight (unless one is looking for the Ashen light) is best as the limb is not too bright.