SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Remote mini pc

piprees

Hi, 

I've been toying with the idea of a remote mini pc for some time, purely for capture which would then be transferred after a session to a laptop for processing, and running SGpro with the plate solving libraries, PHD2, Pegasus autofocus, EQmod for the mount and all of the drivers plus of course Team Viewer for control from indoors. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of either the Beelink Gemini M J4125 or Beelink MII-V Intel NUC Mini PC as they seem to have a pretty good spec, 4/64 or 4/128 storage plus lots of usb3 sockets. Both of these minis are just over £100 and seem to be too good to be true, hmmm, maybe they are!!!

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated,

Kind regards,

Phil

Read the sspec carefully. Does it say anything like "Barebones"? if it does then that's what you get, no OS, RAM , or HD. If it is complete then what OS is installed? You need Win 10 Pro to be able to use RDP to connect remotely. Also, although you don't need huge computing power I would sau i3 is minimum spec

I have two on my remote imaging rigs, and they both save to my office NAS via wired ethernet.

• Like 1

I was going to ask where you'd seen them at £100 as I've been hanging my nose over a few lately.... I just have USB (2 unfortunately) over an ethernet cable which works just fine for me at the moment.

I saw this but it's pretty much double at £219..... I have been looking at different ones by the way, I just saw this searching for the Beelink....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beelink-Gemini-Mini-PC-Processor/dp/B08K2MHWQ7/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Beelink+Gemini+M&qid=1612801461&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExVDZGREVGUlBaRjgyJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzU1NDY0M1ExWTFDUEdFUjhLSyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjczMjY0RE5SNUpCSU1MVTZVJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

32 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Read the sspec carefully. Does it say anything like "Barebones"? if it does then that's what you get, no OS, RAM , or HD. If it is complete then what OS is installed? You need Win 10 Pro to be able to use RDP to connect remotely. Also, although you don't need huge computing power I would sau i3 is minimum spec

I have two on my remote imaging rigs, and they both save to my office NAS via wired ethernet.

RDP is on windows home too, it’s just harder to find, but it’s there....👍🏼

Edited by Stuart1971

46 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

I was going to ask where you'd seen them at £100 as I've been hanging my nose over a few lately.... I just have USB (2 unfortunately) over an ethernet cable which works just fine for me at the moment.

I saw this but it's pretty much double at £219..... I have been looking at different ones by the way, I just saw this searching for the Beelink....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beelink-Gemini-Mini-PC-Processor/dp/B08K2MHWQ7/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Beelink+Gemini+M&qid=1612801461&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExVDZGREVGUlBaRjgyJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzU1NDY0M1ExWTFDUEdFUjhLSyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjczMjY0RE5SNUpCSU1MVTZVJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Droix has the M11, 4/128 ram/rom, for £104.95, Bangood has the gemini, 4/64, for £114.58 minus a new user coupon of £14.88. Postage is £3.99 from Droix and £9.25 from Bangood. I keep saying to myself....too good to be true!!!

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

The Mk11 has windows10 home, the gemini only says windows so I guess it's home. Apparently Team Viewer can be used without the pro version of windows and it's free for non commercial use.

I agree with piprees in that a i3 Nuc with windows 10 pro is all you need. I also use a Minix which works well. The 64gb storage is not a problem.

On the MInix I have all the software you need for control and data acquisition but not image processing. The Minix has great wifi range with its external antenna and runs off 12 volt dc. The NUC although it states 19 v it also runs quite happily on 12 volts