SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Do I need to 'man up'?

Mr Jones

I guess I have an advantage in that I can just use my work gear. Trouble might be if I have to do anything energetic I'll be sweating buckets with temperatures as warm as -6C - temperature at work is normally set to -18C. You need special boots at those temperatures, as normal DMs etc can't cope with it that cold. I had a brand new pair of DMs (much more comfy than work boots) crack in half right across the soles, as they go brittle when it gets that cold.

David

• Like 1

When the fluid in your eyeballs thickens due to the cold and you cant see properly its game over. Never had it observing but have on the bike.

If your using 12v power for things you could add heated clothing to the kit list

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

I remember many, many years ago walking to school when it was -40C and with the windchill felt like -70C. Now that was seriously COLD.. Unusualy cold even for a Montreal winter. Brrrrrrr. 😬

That is insane, in Toronto I have experienced -43 with windchill a few years back, insanity.

There are some hardy folks on here and I admire the perseverance :thumbright:

Not me though. If I get too cold I stop enjoying it. Fortunately my usual observing site is about 1 metre from a nice cozy warm room so I can pop out, do a bit of observing then pop back inside to warm up, have a warm drink and consult the star charts for the next target.

Probably an unusual arrangement but it suits me just fine :smile:

• Like 2

All of the above good tips..plus place a flat, square piece of wood under your feet, it's a good insulator. I have a small wooden step that I use - I use a Nadira observing chair, and the step also helps if the chair is set best it's maximum height..👍

Dave

The coldest I've been out observing in was -13'c, but that was about 25 years ago, when I was....about....25 years younger! The cold didn't seem to bite so much then, but now I feel it a lot more keenly.  That was a great night though. Up until that night, I hadn't seen the Horsehead Nebula in a 90mm scope!

I didn't that night either, and I still haven't and I never will. I'm just saying  🤣 lol 🤣

• Haha 2

I will settle for cold and clear any day.  Just one night of clear, please?  Not too much to ask for in an entire winter season?  The last clear, moon-free night in Nottingham was 5th November.  So I will settle for cold, however cold.  Will get the thermals and multiple layers out.

Edited by kirkster501
  • Like 1

Just sit down in front of the computer in a nice warm room, connect to the obsy by RDP, hit GO and watch the subs roll in. When it's finished the 'scope will park itself, close the roof and shut down.

• Haha 1

As many have said already: it's not the weather, it's the clothing. Dress accordingly and you'll be fine. Even better if you can pop inside to warm up momentarily.

Here (63 degrees latitude) it's pretty much the name of the game that when it's dark and clear enough to see stars, it's also cold. A bit cold, very cold, it varies, but cold anyway. :) One can prepare and be relatively comfortable by wearing layers, moving around, and drinking something hot. But it is not a coincidence that I dream of living in some place a bit warmer... :D 

Besides yourself getting cold, your equipment will start doing funny things too. Cables become rods, smooth focusers become immovable objects and so on. Wonder if the front lens has frost on it? Take a look, see that it doesn't and promptly breath it into impenetrable frozen fog. You are done for the night, unless you have proper dew bands. Ask me how I know. 😃 

My first imaging experience was a good example of how the cold can throw some spanners into the works. Despite the setbacks and poor results, it was a fun night which I will remember for a long time.  I guess that would be my main take away: put on some clothes, get out there and enjoy!

• Like 1

I don't like the cold at all, but over time I've slowly improved my cold weather gear it's now easier than it was.

When it's really cold I pick one set up and stick with it, i.e. fix the eyepiece, fix the focus and just use that all session to avoid having to take off my gloves to fiddle about.

• Like 1

I get cold feet observing on the patio this time of year. Standing On an insulating pad really makes a difference, I’ve got a bit of closed cell packing foam that is easy to kick into a new position when changing target.

The reusable sodium acetate hand warmers also work surprisingly well. 

Stay warm!

• Like 1

On 08/02/2021 at 18:59, Sunshine said:

I've been out in some mighty cold weather but, i admit, when toes start freezing it sucks the fun out of it, no shame in it.

Moon boots are what you need!  They have thick rubber soles and either thick foam or fur linings. Feet stay nice and toastie even in snow!

Moon boots being a general term that was used back in the 90's & early 2000's. In the pic below they're called YETI.

20210210_093154.thumb.jpg.d76c0349d71427ff56f3324f2abee95b.jpg

"Cant believe I've actually photographed a pair of boots"!  

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Not that here in Florida I have to deal with it viewing, but I do get freezer duty at work a lot being I'm experienced and deal with the cold.

It is -8 F not figuring the blowers giving you 15mph winds.

The store manager only slides the door open and peeks in!😁😁

Like so many have said, dress for it in layers and never forget something for your head!

Down up! As it were. 

Basically I’m dressed for a winter ascent of Ben Nevis to hang around by the bins at the bottom of the garden. 

I was out tonight & forecast said -3 feels like - 8 with windchill. With a down gilet under a North Face down Parker & insulated hood all was toasty, hood acts as a handy ambient light barrier too - think Kenny from South Park. 
Thick soles walking boots & bridgedale walking socks a must for me  - it’s my feet that go first if I’m not moving about much. 

If it gets really cold I’d deploy Helly Hansen thermals under that lot. 

That and a whisky when I get in :) 

• Like 2