Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Red light torch - how strong?

Vilius

I have a couple of Photon Freedom micro-lights, a yellow with a wide beam and a "covert" red one that has a narrow beam. Both have variable brightness, ranging from extremely dim to fairly bright. I use the yellow for setting the scope up, finding things and so on. I use the red one for charts, planisphere etc and try to keep either of them at the lowest setting I can get away with. I have a clip that accepts them and allows me to clip them to whatever and aim wherever I want, if needed. The clip is also magnetic, so can be put on a scope tube for convenience or loss-avoidance.

• Like 1

I use a bog standard energizer head torch with a switch that if pushed left turns on the red, I have trained myself to always think left and it is now automatic.

As for brightness I go for as little as possible. When first venturing out my head torch seems pointless but after adaptation it is where I need it. I get it really dim by saving up all the mostly used batteries from other items and just run the last of the power from them.

It is amazing how little light you really need out there and how much we actually use. There is enough light pollution without bringing our own.

Marv

• Like 1