SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Setup question

Celestron4

I am considering making some changes to my imaging setup to allow me to leave it running overnight to maximise my imaging time and need some advice. My setup is currently: Celestron Nexstar 6 SCT (with f.6.3 reducer), Celestron AVX Mount, Canon EOS 600D (Astro modified), Altair 60mm guide scope (guide camera is Altair GPCAM 130C) all controlled with a very old laptop (on camera connection - I have tried ASCOM but have had some issues).

I know that it is possible to remotely control/monitor the setup (I wouldn’t need much more than a 5m range) and am therefore considering replacing the laptop with something more compact. What is my best option on a tight budget and would I need anything to allow me to remotely control the setup?

Should I be considering looking into/upgrading anything else? (I am looking into dew control - I have a dew shield for the SCT and need something for the guidescope). 

I control all of my equipment remotely using a powered USB hub and an active USB 3 cable (USB 2 would work but downloads would be slower). I have made a 12v distribution box from a small junction box so the only cables I have are one for power and one for data. If carefully managed it is fine. I leave my rig running overnight, including flips and I have not had a problem. I would be concerned with a long refractor which might hit the mount. With regards to dew, I use USB powered dew heaters as it can be powered from the scope power supply through the hub.

I probably should go down the wireless route as my wifi seems to reach quite well. I have seriously considered the ASIair but my focuser is not compatible and I don't want to replace it

On 08/02/2021 at 11:43, PeterCPC said:

The point I was really making is that it can cause problems with cables getting snagged. I always try to avoid flips unless I am in attendance.

You're right but the trick is to gather the cables together close to the camera and run them all to the mount end of the counterweight shaft, to which you attach them. from there they can drop down low and won't move too much during a run. I host six robotic setups and that's been working well for us. Flips are routine.

Olly

• Like 1

I would power the DSLR with an AC power adapter rather than using the battery. Some will charge off USB so shouldn’t be an issue. My current scope is. 6” SCT so shouldn’t be an issue with meridian flip. How do you deal with dark frames?  Is it still a manual process?

Edited by Celestron4