Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
BenBroad

Whats the heaviest OTA a CG5 mount can take?

"Capable of holding over 35 lbs of payload" to quote, I would derate that to under 30 lbs so I would have thought you maybe OK

Hmm, does that 35lb include the weight of the counter weights or is it equipment only ?

The CG5 will JUST ABOUT take a 10" f5 Newt for visual use but its very marginal. The quoted weights for mounts are for equipment only, no counterweights.

My Revelation 10" OTA used to shake a fair bit on my CG5. It was usable but a little too much for tastes

I used to use my C10N on a CG5-GT mount. Whilst the mount could handle it for visual use there was no 'slack' and balancing had to be done well. If there was any wind I had to wait patiently for the jiggles to die down at high power. Ideally you'd go no heavier than an 8" reflector and imaging would be out of the question.

James

It's not just weight it's tube length too.

For useable results the tube length should be around 1000mm or less.

Weight wise I used a C9.25 (9kgs) on a CG5 for visual with 1-2 seconds vibration damping time.

Overall I would say an 8" F5 is the limit.

My OO 8" f6 1200 is fine.. it weighs les than a SW 8" f5 1000

I currently run my EQ5 synscan with a SW 200P, I use that for my imaging setup, but balancing has to be good.

Thanks for all the advice. I got a bonus coming up and might get myself a new OTA, perhaps a skywatcher 8" or 10" newtonian