Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ST4 Guiding

Hi all 

I have recently purchased a guide scope & camera combo, installed SharpCap for PA,  PHD2 for ST4 guiding &  the camera driver - just wondering if there is anything else at this stage that I need to download to get this up & running?   Seems to be some conflicting suggestions on the net that the mount HEQ5 drivers along with ASCOM are also needed but I'm pretty sure that's for using EQMOD which I'm not really keen to use at stage in my learning process as Im intent on taking it slowly to understand things a little better.  

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks

The best thing to do is set it all up in the day time and make sure everything is talking to each other. 

If your mount is to be controlled by computer, you don't need the ST4 cable. You can use pulse guiding from PHD2 straight to the mount. This is more reliable and one less wire to worry about.

I tried for ages to get my HEQ5 mount running via the ST4 cable and it just wouldn't work. I'm pleased it didn't because it was suggested to just run it off a laptop via a Lynx Astro EQ direct cable, I've never looked back and it's made things so much easier. So now I use the EQ direct cable with the correct EQASCOM software and control the mount via that through Apt. I've  been loving using it this way ever since, like you I wanted to make my life easier for now with the ST4 but actually the way I ended up doing it with the EQ direct option is easier in the end! 

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 1

Can all seem very daunting and complicated getting all your equipment talking to each other properly!!

But as Rustang said, I also found it easier to use Lynx astro EQ Direct cable plugged into laptop and APT program as my preferred option. I also use a long USB2 cable to connect to a USB Hub attached to the mount. This is where the other imaging components are connected up - so only two cables are attached to my laptop which usually runs with no problems!

Gerr.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jamgood said:

The best thing to do is set it all up in the day time and make sure everything is talking to each other. 

If your mount is to be controlled by computer, you don't need the ST4 cable. You can use pulse guiding from PHD2 straight to the mount. This is more reliable and one less wire to worry about.

Thanks. -how do you check it's all working?

Secondly if it's to be controlled by the computer without the ST4 cable then a different cable would be required? 

33 minutes ago, Rustang said:

I tried for ages to get my HEQ5 mount running via the ST4 cable and it just wouldn't work. I'm pleased it didn't because it was suggested to just run it off a laptop via a Lynx Astro EQ direct cable, I've never looked back and it's made things so much easier. So now I use the EQ direct cable with the correct EQASCOM software and control the mount via that through Apt. I've  been loving using it this way ever since, like you I wanted to make my life easier for now with the ST4 but actually the way I ended up doing it with the EQ direct option is easier in the end! 

OK, so that another cable & a different approach?  

Edit - so I've just checked & thats the EQMOD approach & extra cost for the cable.

If I can get the HEQ5 mount working via the ST4 then that will need to suffice to begin with until I can start to understand things a little better.

Edited by Neila1975

7 minutes ago, Gerr said:

Can all seem very daunting and complicated getting all your equipment talking to each other properly!!

But as Rustang said, I also found it easier to use Lynx astro EQ Direct cable plugged into laptop and APT program as my preferred option. I also use a long USB2 cable to connect to a USB Hub attached to the mount. This is where the other imaging components are connected up - so only two cables are attached to my laptop which usually runs with no problems!

Gerr.

Thanks - What is APT?

So APT is Astro photography tool, it's the software many people use to control their equipment, there are other programs that are great too. The software connects with the EQASCOM software so everything speaks to each other. My mount and camera contect to this software (Apt) which then allows me to do everything I need, set up exposures, slew the mount to its target etc. I appreciate its an extra cost and time to set everything up but honestly its really worth it. I tried my best to get it working off the ST4 cable to start with aswell but it just would not work. The EQ Direct cable is the best £35 I've spent so far, it's honestly a game changer! 

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 1

APT is Astro Photography Tool. It connects 'everything' for you. This is where your camera, telescope, mount, guiding, focuser, star chart, star alignment (plate solving) and image acquisition all happens.

It is brilliant and free!!

Check out www.astrophotography.app

Gerr.

6 hours ago, Neila1975 said:

using EQMOD which I'm not really keen to use at stage in my learning process as Im intent on taking it slowly

Hi

EQMOD will make your learning process considerably easier. On-camera introduces another layer of difficulty and yet another cable to fail.

Here's the cable you need.

Cheers

Edited by alacant

Here's my old thread when I set everything up, it's long but worth looking through. You will probably have less of a headache than me, me setting it up, my brain let's me down the most! 😊

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rustang said:

Here's my old thread when I set everything up, it's long but worth looking through. You will probably have less of a headache than me, me setting it up, my brain let's me down the most! 😊

Thanks - started reading an am already confused! 

8 minutes ago, Neila1975 said:

Once you get it, you'll understand why people recommend it. It's not really complicated. Computer control is much easier than the hsndset.

You just need to know what you want to do and how to achieve it. I knew from the start, before I owned a scope, I wanted to control everything from inside in the warm. 

23 minutes ago, Neila1975 said:

Appricate that, my thread probably didn't help the confusion but honestly if you take the time to read through it and set it all up it's worth it, I'm not going to lie and say it's easy, it was a bit of a headache but if I can do it then you can. What else can you do while we have all these clouds! 😉

Get the EQ Direct cable, Download the correct ASCOM drivers for your camera and mount, download EQASCOM. I think everything is within my thread but you will have to hunt for it I'm afraid. It will all be worth it, trust me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rustang said:

Appricate that, my thread probably didn't help the confusion but honestly if you take the time to read through it and set it all up it's worth it, I'm not going to lie and say it's easy, it was a bit of a headache but if I can do it then you can. What else can you do while we have all these clouds! 😉

Get the EQ Direct cable, Download the correct ASCOM drivers for your camera and mount, download EQASCOM. I think everything is within my thread but you will have to hunt for it I'm afraid. It will all be worth it, trust me. 

OK, I've jumped in and purchased the cable (rolled eyes from the Mrs)...also read most of your thread....stay tuned as may need some help!

1 hour ago, Neila1975 said:

OK, just so I have this right, I can use the guide scope & camera with SharpCap to first PA, then switch the camera to guiding using PHD2?

Yeah that should be the right cable. So I don't use sharp cap so not familiar with it. The process I follow is, everything turned on and connected/talking to each other. I pola Align through the HEQ5 Pro pola scope, I use an app to tell me with Polaris is. Because I've set up plate solving in Apt which again can be a head ache to set up but seriously worth it, I can choose my target in APT, slew to it then plate solve in Apt, sync that to the scope. My target will then be centered in frame ready to then connect to PHD2 to guide, once guiding I go back into APT and press go on the image plan I've set. I now sit back and enjoy the ride..... then wait for something to get upset.........sit back again and enjoy the ride! 😁

Plate solving is yet another game changer for getting you correctly on target. No star alignment needed, just choose the target, solve and then your away, it's awesome. I honestly had a tough time setting it all up but it's seriously made my life easier and really made a big difference to my astrophotophotography so I couldn't recommend doing all of this enough. I owe a big thanks to this forum and it's great members for their help. 

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Rustang said:

Yeah that should be the right cable. So I don't use sharp cap so not familiar with it. The process I follow is, everything turned on and connected/talking to each other. I pola Align through the HEQ5 Pro pola scope, I use an app to tell me with Polaris is. Because I've set up plate solving in Apt which again can be a head ache to set up but seriously worth it, I can choose my target in APT, slew to it then plate solve in Apt, sync that to the scope. My target will then be centered in frame ready to then connect to PHD2 to guide, once guiding I go back into APT and press go on the image plan I've set. I now sit back and enjoy the ride..... then wait for something to get upset.........sit back again and enjoy the ride! 😁

Plate solving is yet another game changer for getting you correctly on target. No star alignment needed, just choose the target, solve and then your away, it's awesome. I honestly had a tough time setting it all up but it's seriously made my life easier and really made a big difference to my astrophotophotography so I couldn't recommend doing all of this enough. I owe a big thanks to this forum and it's great members for their help. 

OK.  Thanks all.