Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Trouble and ambiguity with finding Polaris

So here is what I do, I put the mount on the ground, its leveled, after that I make sure its pointed at North using compass on iphone, adjust latitude to match mine, but nothing in the polar scope, i move the latitude up i see a bright star but no constellation, i thought that would be polaris but after getting star trails probably not.

What are tips for finding polaris? Should I polar align when its dusk, i saw that tip on an older thread? the house could be obstructing polaris, but i highly doubt that given that apps show polaris above the house and not really close.

Maybe I'm missing something but why not use the "pointer stars" of the big dipper? Polaris should be really easy to find, provided it's actually in your line of sight. No apps required, no compass required.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wulfrun said:

Maybe I'm missing something but why not use the "pointer stars" of the big dipper? Polaris should be really easy to find, provided it's actually in your line of sight. No apps required, no compass required.

I agree.  I struggle to find things in the sky,  but using  the big dipper pointer stars makes it one of the easiest. 

Edited by Jason B

....and magnetic North is not the same as true North by some margin. Identify polaris by using the pointer stars of the plough and the mark 1 eyeball then align the axis of the mount with the star. Then move on to the polarscope.  There are also smart phone planetarium apps to help you identify constellations and stars when holding the phone to the night sky.

Edited by Owmuchonomy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ddm4313 said:

So here is what I do, I put the mount on the ground, its leveled, after that I make sure its pointed at North using compass on iphone, adjust latitude to match mine, but nothing in the polar scope, i move the latitude up i see a bright star but no constellation, i thought that would be polaris but after getting star trails probably not.

You are not going to see constellation in polar scope - just a star - a bright one.

Use constellation by naked eye before you look thru the polar scope to verify you are aiming in general direction. Setting latitude and aligning to compass north is going to be only roughly accurate - it can deviate by a degree or two - enough to move Polaris outside of the polar scope - but it should provide you with good rough pointing.

I'd work on positively identifying a few constellations first. As said, there are "pointers" and "guideposts" to help find your way.

The picture below isn't a million miles away from the present early evening view looking north. The Plough rising in the NE and the "W" of Cassiopeia setting in the NW.

Polaris is in a relatively barren patch of sky. You'll know when you have it in the polar scope. 

Image result for finding polaris

• Like 5

Hi I set up daytime normally and I use polar alignment pro but if you have stellariaum on your phone go into search more ask it to show you Polaris your then get an arrow on the phone screen now place your phone were the telescope would mount (I use a spare dove tail with phone fitted to it ) now adjust mount till arrow points straight up  then when it gets dark Polaris will be in the polar scope some times I don't need to do any more adjustments to the mount 

Edited by Neil H

Personally I'd put all the electronic gadgets in a big black bag in the house. All they'll do is ruin your night vision. We don't know where you are located so we don't know how far from magnetic north true north is for you. If you're in Iceland it could be a lot! 😄 However, I would just use a cheap magnetic compass and check your latitude, roughly. If you look north and up at the same angle as your latitude Polaris will be there if the sky's clear. Begin by getting it naked eye and fix it in your mind using local features on the ground. Don't get all distracted by gadgets and widgets.

Olly

• Like 4

I use an app called PS Align Pro, similar to @Neil H It has a daytime polar align routine which you can carry out when setting up. It is not accurate enough for good PA but it will get Polaris in the fov of the polar scope so at night it just needs tweaking 

• Like 1

I find Polaris quite difficult to pick out when its dark and looking through the polarscope, however its much easier during twilight/daylight or with the polarscope illumination turned up so that the dimmer stars get swamped.

Alan

13 minutes ago, ddm4313 said:

It shouldn't be too hard to find Polaris, but perhaps it is obstructed by the house, though it is dusk in about 20mins so will try then.

No it’s not, it’s easy, but what can be awkward is getting it in the fov of the polar scope which is where the app comes into its own

That's true , doing it the way I do I found Polaris is always in the polar scope just needs a adjustment some times no adjustment  but I did adjust led in polar scope so that must help like you said just never thought about it when I got the mount it was way to bright 

Not a lot of help finding Polaris for the first time, there’s heaps of good advice above, but a great help for each time thereafter:

If you have to pack away each time, always set the tripod back up in precisely the same position and identify that position by permanent markers in the ground corresponding to the location of each tripod leg foot.

Speeds up levelling and alignment no end and for visual you’d barely need to check.

This was one of the first tips given by my college lecturer back in the 80’s.

Edited by SMF
  • Like 1

I use a compass away from the mount which I shine a red light on then adjust the mount accordingly once I've done that look in the polar scope and it's usually there just needs a bit of adjustment. 

20210207_171022.jpg

20210207_170931.jpg

Edited by wookie1965
  • Like 1

Once you find Polaris just once from the spot where you normally set up your telescope just remember what landmarks it is above/beside.  When you stand in the same spot next time, you'll know polaris will be directly above your neighbors  chimney for example. Even if I cannot see the stars while setting up at dusk, I know that when I stand a couple of feet from the end of my steps and look directly over the highest point of my neighbors  rooftop, polaris is just above. Sometimes I manage to set up my scope precisely enough so that polaris ends up within the polar scopes FOV, Using landmarks helps for a rough alignment well before polaris is visible. my method may sound archaic but, because polaris will always be in the same spot, as long as you remember where you are standing with respect to permanently placed objects in your yard and, facing the same way, you'll be able to point to polaris very accurately, day or night.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 2

Following a chart as shown above is the easiest way. Once you see it Polaris is unmistakable. As a bright star, it's out there all on its own and bright enough to be seen even in light polluted skies.

All these gadgets and apps are just faff. Once you get used to where Polaris is (it doesn't move) alignment will take seconds.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Following a chart as shown above is the easiest way. Once you see it Polaris is unmistakable. As a bright star, it's out there all on its own and bright enough to be seen even in light polluted skies.

All these gadgets and apps are just faff. Once you get used to where Polaris is (it doesn't move) alignment will take seconds.

I entirely agree about gadgets and faff, but I had a group of highly experienced imagers from the south of England who struggled to find Polaris at our dark site precisely because it wasn't 'all on its own!' :D But, seriously, I agree with you. There is a mania for gadgets. I have pretty much given up hope of trying to explain how to find our village. 'Follow the signs,' doesn't convince everyone. They MUST follow their Apps. Following the signs only applies to an alternative reality (the original one!!!) but following the signs takes you straight here. The wonderful Apps lead in all directions.

Olly

• Haha 4

Just now, ollypenrice said:

I entirely agree about gadgets and faff, but I had a group of highly experienced imagers from the south of England who struggled to find Polaris at our dark site precisely because it wasn't 'all on its own!' :D 

Well that’s soft southerners for you, Olly. You would not have had that trouble with @mikeDnight, @paulastro or me.

😊

• Haha 4