SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Star count survey

MartinHiggins

I would take part, and there may be the odd clear slot in the week, but I have my doubts about my intrinsic NELM for point sources, as the faintest stars I can see are not as faint as i would expect from my ability to see extended sources like the MW.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DaveS said:

I would take part, and there may be the odd clear slot in the week, but I have my doubts about my intrinsic NELM for point sources, as the faintest stars I can see are not as faint as i would expect from my ability to see extended sources like the MW.

Every little helps, I guess it's cumulative so if lot's of people do it from your location there will be an average of the limiting magnitude and thereby an estimate of the light pollution for your area. Hence the more the merrier. Just need some clear skies, that's the challenge.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DaveS said:

It takes five minutes or so, including signing up. It's only the stars with the Orion constellation, minus the bow.

Not that many people take part, iirc around 2500 reports last year, so the more, the merrier.

Although I do wonder if the vast majority of those taking part are deep in city centres due to my score beating 73% of them. I'm in a Bortle 8 urban jungle so I feel sorry for those who have it worse.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 1

I've done it the last two years, but I think I may have been the only person from my location to take part, which is why I now have my doubts about the validity of my results. It's pretty rural here but we do catch the LP from the nearest towns,

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DaveS said:

I've done it the last two years, but I think I may have been the only person from my location to take part, which is why I now have my doubts about the validity of my results. It's pretty rural here but we do catch the LP from the nearest towns,

That's the problem, there is need for more people to get better results. It's like in solar observation, one person counting a sunspot group as apposed to hundreds counting. We need a good average to quantify results. 

57 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Please keep it up Dave. Your country needs you! 🧐

• Haha 1

I think the results are less important than the publicity. Anything that gets the topic in the public mind is a good thing. It’s a shame there’s no easy way to show people in Bortle 8 areas the majesty of an unpolluted night sky: just what it is they’re missing and what it is their area-conditions are hiding. And further, more difficult to my mind, to show those people lucky enough to live in a dark rural area, what it is they see and take for granted and how easily it can be made to disappear, and to get them to care about it.

Cheers, Magnus

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

I think the results are less important than the publicity. Anything that gets the topic in the public mind is a good thing. It’s a shame there’s no easy way to show people in Bortle 8 areas the majesty of an unpolluted night sky: just what it is they’re missing and what it is their area-conditions are hiding. And further, more difficult to my mind, to show those people lucky enough to live in a dark rural area, what it is they see and take for granted and how easily it can be made to disappear, and to get them to care about it.

Cheers, Magnus

A very good point, Magnus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

That's the problem, there is need for more people to get better results. It's like in solar observation, one person counting a sunspot group as apposed to hundreds counting. We need a good average to quantify results. 

1 hour ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Please keep it up Dave. Your country needs you! 🧐

OK, the next clear night within the window I'll do a count. Will need to turn my smart lights off and take a recliner out so I can dark adapt for maybe 1/2 hour.

• Like 2

Maybe I was being pessimistic as I have counted 23 stars after proper dark adaptation.

This is with my dodgy eyes, I have posterior vitreous detachment in my left eye, which is the dominant one.

I won't report until I have done several nights.

• Like 1

Good job I did the count when I did as it's clouded over now. ASA Sequence picked up the unsafe conditions signal from the Cloudwatcher and shut down, parking the 'scope, warming up the camera and closing the obsy roof.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LeeHore7 said:

Hopefully I'll be able to do it when the skies clear, it'll be a nice thing to do whilst my dslr is clicking away at Orion.  I'm in bottle 3 according to Co so should be able to see a few. Clear skies

Just been and completed my star count, I think I would of counted more if my neighbours kitchen fluorescent light wasn't on, I did get a result of seeing more than 77‰ of last years count. 

• Like 1