SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

STOLEN ITEMS.

Peter Drew

A local astronomer had his observatory broken in to recently, the following items were stolen:-

TV NP101 with 90MM CORONADO ETALON ATTACHED

80mm REFRACTOR with 40MM  CORONADO ETALON ATTACHED

STARWAVE 102

CANON 20D

CANON 20DA

Please be on the lookout for such items being offered in unusual circumstances.

• Sad 14

Infuriating at any time, even more so in the current climate!

Would it be OK to tweet these details maybe?

I guess the etalons might get split up fom the scopes, if the scumbags realise what they have.

Always a good idea when buying stuff 2nd hand to ask questions abpout the performance of items to see if the seller really knows what they are selling.

• Like 1

Probably a good idea to keep an eye on fleabay.

They either don't know what they have, or they do, and will use it themselves - always a danger they will remain hidden.

It's possible some thefts may be targeted attacks. It's always wise not to give the location of observatories or what equipment they contain.

• Like 2

On 05/02/2021 at 23:22, Peter Drew said:

A local astronomer had his observatory broken in to recently, the following items were stolen:-

TV NP101 with 90MM CORONADO ETALON ATTACHED

80mm REFRACTOR with 40MM  CORONADO ETALON ATTACHED

STARWAVE 102

CANON 20D

CANON 20DA

Please be on the lookout for such items being offered in unusual circumstances.

Peter - sorry to hear this - gut wrenching, and such expensive equipment.
Does he have a record of the NP101 and Coronado filters’ serial numbers, presuming they have them, like most TV refractors and solar etalons?

31 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Peter - sorry to hear this - gut wrenching, and such expensive equipment.
Does he have a record of the NP101 and Coronado filters’ serial numbers, presuming they have them, like most TV refractors and solar etalons?

I don't have these details but presume so.  I do know that the equipment was insured so hopefully that will soften the blow.

On 06/02/2021 at 10:42, Pete Presland said:

Infuriating at any time, even more so in the current climate!

I guess the etalons might get split up from the scopes, if the scumbags realise what they have.

Always a good idea when buying stuff 2nd hand to ask questions about the performance of items to see if the seller really knows what they are selling.

Given the number of PSTs for sale with badly rusted ITFs I wouldn't hold anybody to that high ideal.
Not even images will protect you from some private sellers when they know exactly what they are doing.
There are scammers on the popular astro sales website who deliberately misuse their inside knowledge to fleece the innocent buyer.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Rusted said:

Given the number of PSTs for sale with badly rusted ITFs I wouldn't hold anybody to that high ideal.
Not even images will protect you from some private sellers when they know exactly what they are doing.
There are scammers on the popular astro sales website who deliberately misuse their inside knowledge to fleece the innocent buyer.

Unforetunately you are exactly right, i have been very lucky in most of my dealings buying 2nd hand equipment.

• Like 1