Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Going solar with my gear?

I am getting desperate under Covid curfew over here in Belgium and started eyeing solar observations which I can do during the day off course

Understanding the slightly risky nature of solar observations, is there a safe way to observe the sun with the gear I already have, enhanced with some filters and dedicated finder scope?

I have a skywatcher 150/750 and a skymax 127. 

Anyone can share some experiences or advice on what to do next/best in the safest way

Thank you for helping

Edward

When I first started looking at the sun I bought an A4 sheet of Baader solar paper and made a filter for my old meade 10" SNT out of cardboard. - used the front lens cover as a template.  Worked very well till I sold the scope.  Now I have a proprietary Baader solar filter for my C8 that simply slips over the front of the tube.  I have a 'remnant' of the original sheet that I fasten over the finderscope with a rubber band.  Always make sure the filter is the first thing the sun's rays reaches. Don't ever try to add a solar filter to your eyepiece otherwise  the tube could heat up too much. 

Graeme

Hi Edward, as have been said, the cheapest way is to make a solar filter from baader solar film. Initially this will give you what is called white light observations. For visual it must be nd5, for imaging you can buy nd3.8. you must not look through the imaging solar film and is only intended for imaging to make shorter exposures. To that you can add a couple of filters. 1. The solar continuum filter - this enhances the granulation and falculie. 2. The baader k-line filter - this enhances the falculie, spots and granulation even more. Refractors are more convenient and cheap achromatic scope's will suffice. With refractors you can use what is known as an hershal wedge. These give the best view using the said filters. I've added pics using the baader k line filter but this filter is best for imaging. I suggest that you first start with the baader solar film and the solar continuum filter for your scope's.

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/solar-observation/astrosolar-viewers-and-film.html

PSX_20210123_220201.jpg

PSX_20210123_193142.jpg

PSX_20210123_220042.jpg