SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Another first-message newbie!

GSmith

Hello All,

I’ve been well and truly bitten by the astronomy bug and am looking to understand this whole area a bit better. There seem to be plenty of people posting here who are very patient with new starters and generous in sharing their knowledge. Thanks in advance!

To be honest, I wish I had known about SGL before buying a cheapo telescope from Amazon last year... 

I’ve now upgraded to an Evostar72 and am impatiently waiting for lockdown restrictions to ease a bit so I can drive 15 mins away to a darker site and avoid all the lovely new white LED street lights around here.

G

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, GSmith said:

Hello All,

I’ve been well and truly bitten by the astronomy bug and am looking to understand this whole area a bit better. There seem to be plenty of people posting here who are very patient with new starters and generous in sharing their knowledge. Thanks in advance!

To be honest, I wish I had known about SGL before buying a cheapo telescope from Amazon last year... 

I’ve now upgraded to an Evostar72 and am impatiently waiting for lockdown restrictions to ease a bit so I can drive 15 mins away to a darker site and avoid all the lovely new white LED street lights around here.

G

Welcome, and I share your impatience !

Heather

Welcome from another lockdown beginner!  Likewise - getting a bit fed up of the neighbour's security lights need the freedom to roam....

Folk on here have been great and the amount of valuable experience around is amazing. 

Here's to clouds and lockdowns lifting! 

• Like 1

You will be OK G.   There is plenty  of topics you can engage in of these forums whilst wailting for 
Lockdown release. You will find  a great deal of knowledge  waiting to be  gathererd, and  there is very little that
is not covered here. Many experts in the  different  sciences that Astronomy as a whole is built on reside
here, so  feel free to post any questions you need answers to,  and  they will be answered.
Enjoy  your stay, and your new telescope.
Best Wishes. 👍.
Ron.

On 04/02/2021 at 18:52, happy-kat said:

Hi

Observing with say a hood or a towel on the head does help cut light problems when you have street lights and another possible is erecting a light shield in your garden to block the light hitting your eyes when observing.

Great tip which I’ll try next time we get a clear evening. Added bonus that will also have a warmer head!

• 3 weeks later...