SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Logitech C270 webcam to Astrocam.

Chaz2b

My Logitech C270 arrived this morning, so within ten minutes I had converted it to a astrocam!

There was a vid on YouTube showing the quite simple procedure, it meant drilling out, by hand, a 7/16” hole for my webcam to 1.1.5” eyepiece adapter, the thread is made by pushing in the webcam adapter, turning it and cutting the thread with its own thread, easy.

£35 and I have a quite reasonable astrocam.........oh!...hello....clouds!

chaz

2C0E5C51-F2C8-4D0B-88C2-E569D5BC728D.jpeg

64595BF9-47B4-4CBC-A066-9F3DB321B3AD.jpeg

BC58B68F-B20E-4C83-B6C2-F0000DE5F9C1.jpeg

Edited by Chaz2b
  • Like 1

Blimey! I’ve only just got it. Do you think the clouds have forgotten me yet? Lol.

I used the Phillips Toucan pro previously, and that was largely planetary targets so I’d probably go with that first, then onto M42. 
I ve had to sell the wonderful TS-optics 130 photo line triplet, so I’m down to my Meade  etx125 UHTC without a focal reducer! I also have a Celestron C80 Ed and a Cape Newise 8”, but if I sell my eq6 pro, then I’m down to my SW AZ- GTi mount with WiFi but which can only handle 5kgs, and my Orion versago az, no motors.

My hope is mainly to capture planetary images due to the focal lengths without a reducer, but time will tell as I’m in a monetary limbo due to an ongoing health issue...did I have a TIA or not? This has stopped me from driving my truck until the dvla is satisfied I can continue driving, and until then I can’t spend on those little luxuries.

Getting a Celestron f/6.3 reducer will hopefully bring in dso targets, but has to wait.

chaz

• Like 1

Bad luck about the possible TIA - hope that gets resolved for you as quickly as possible.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hassle you, but I also have a C270 webcam and I'd seen the same video as you about using the 7/16 drill.  I was going to do something very similar to you and possibly couple it to an old Jessops Newt I have.  My thought is for EEVA.

Might be worth keeping tabs on each other to see how we get on.

Martin

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ngwillym said:

Nice one.

That takes me back to when I did the same thing with a Philips Toucam - quite a few years ago now

That Toucan did give some very nice pictures, but I can’t use it with win10 so I bought the C270 as a replacement plus trying to keep costs down.

chaz

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaz2b said:

That Toucan did give some very nice pictures, but I can’t use it with win10 so I bought the C270 as a replacement plus trying to keep costs down.

chaz

My Toucam has died, unfortunately - and that's why I went for a C270.

1 hour ago, Chaz2b said:

Still should work on an RPi or other Linux machine though, I think, so not entirely without value yet.

James

• Like 1

Yes, Linux would work, just not a great fan of it. I’m considering loading Linux into a separate partition just so I can keep using the toucan, it ain’t dead yet!

Found another problem, all my pictures from years ago are on other hard drives from computers that died, and the adapter for transferring the data to my laptop has also died....I’m jinxed!

chaz