Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dew Control

Hello, and sorry for yet another question. I have a Skywatcher 80Ed on order, and am looing into Dew Prevention measures before it arrives. I will be powering everything from the mains, so I'm a bit confused as to how you power the Dew Strips, which all have cigarette lighter types socket. The only solution I've found is as following:

Dew strips into Dew controller probably this one from FLO https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention/hitecastro-single-channel-dual-port-dew-controller.html

The plug in the Dew controller cigarette lighter into the mains via this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cigarette-Lighter-Adapter-110V-240V-Converter/dp/B07BHNGFGV

I'm assuming this setup would work, but are there any easier alternatives to the above?

Could I plug the strips straight into the mains and run it on full power, or is the controller a necessity?

Thanks

Dafydd

The dew strips are designed to operate at 12V DC. If you plug them straight in the mains without any transformer, I believe they would just burn out (unless you make your own strips with appropriate wires I suppose). A dew controller can help control the power output so you don't overheat part of the tube causing air current.

I'd go for a 12V 10A supply instead of 5A just to be sure there is enough power.

Edited by KP82

1 minute ago, KP82 said:

The dew strips are designed to operate at 12V DC. If you plug them straight in the mains without any transformer, I believe they would just burn out (unless you make your own strips with appropriate wires I suppose). A dew controller can help control the power output so you don't overheat part of the tube causing air current.

I'd go for a 12V 10A supply instead of 5A just to be sure there is enough power.

Hi,

Sorry, what I meant was, straight into the mains via the adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cigarette-Lighter-Adapter-110V-240V-Converter/dp/B07BHNGFGV

So for 12V 10A, I would need a different controller and adapter?

Just now, Daf1983 said:

Hi,

Sorry, what I meant was, straight into the mains via the adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cigarette-Lighter-Adapter-110V-240V-Converter/dp/B07BHNGFGV

So for 12V 10A, I would need a different controller and adapter?

The controller you listed is fine. Just a different adapter.

I bought my 12V/10A power supply from Amazon before.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BW-Inverters-Cigarette-Converter-Universal/dp/B01MCWO7ZA

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KP82 said:

You only need a few watts each,   so much less than 2A. 

I've got the below dew heater off Amazon with its own controller built in, its been working a treat on my SW80 ED. Just plug the USB end into a phone charger plug then straight into the mains. I actually use two, one on my guide scope as well! 👍

Screenshot_20210204_212657_com.android.chrome.jpg

IMG_20210125_181041.jpg

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rustang said:

I've got the below dew heater off Amazon with its own controller built in, its been working a treat on my SW80 ED. Just plug the USB end into a phone charger plug then straight into the mains. I actually use two, one on my guide scope as well! 👍

Screenshot_20210204_212657_com.android.chrome.jpg

IMG_20210125_181041.jpg

Thanks for this. I thinks this is the route I'm going to take, what length dew band did you get for the 80ed?

8 hours ago, Daf1983 said:

Thanks for this. I thinks this is the route I'm going to take, what length dew band did you get for the 80ed?

They come in just one length from memory, il double check but what ever length it came in, fitted perfectly. I used the same one on the guide scope and just rapped it round over itself, keeps it nice and warm. So far no dew so that says to me they are working 👍

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Daf1983 said:

The one pictured is the one I got, run it on the full heater setting (don't bother with low or medium) which will feel warm to the hand when on. I've had them on a while now and they appear to be doing their job as I've not had any dew!

• Thanks 1