Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ZWO ASI 224 gain values

barbulo

Hi there!
I'm starting in this wonderful world and obviously have many questions. But starting from the beginning, I wonder which are the gain reference values for Moon, planets and DSOs imaging for my ZWO 224.
I know that the experience will show me the way but I would like to know I'm in the right direction. I've read many sources around the web and my simplistic conclusions are:
1. Moon: Video, 16bits OFF, gain 350, exposure time to get the histogram to around 75%.
2. Planets (mainly Mars, Saturn and Jupiter): Video, 16bits OFF, ROI ON (depending on the size of the object), gain the closest to 350, exposure time to get the histogram to around 75%.
3. DSOs: FITS image, 16bits ON, gain to 135 and long exposure shots.
This approach is maybe too basic but when I read about dynamic range and other mysterious concepts, parameters and effects, I feel like my brain is going to liquefy.
Am I aiming well? Any other parameter I should learn to manage in this commencement?
By the way, I use FireCapture. 
Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Edited by barbulo

That is actually quite decent set of settings - except for planetary exposure time.

So for point 1 and 2 (lunar and planetary) - set exposure time sort enough so that you can freeze the seeing. Don't pay attention to histogram what so ever.

I often record with histogram being as low as 20-25%.

Point of the so called lucky imaging is to use very short exposures - most of the time around 5-6ms and on lunar often shorter than that because moon is bright enough. This is because atmosphere is in constant motion and if you use longer exposure - seeing will not be frozen on a frame but will rather move during exposure and this will create additional motion blur that you don't want.

• Like 4

On 01/02/2021 at 22:12, vlaiv said:

That is actually quite decent set of settings - except for planetary exposure time.

So for point 1 and 2 (lunar and planetary) - set exposure time sort enough so that you can freeze the seeing. Don't pay attention to histogram what so ever.

I often record with histogram being as low as 20-25%.

Point of the so called lucky imaging is to use very short exposures - most of the time around 5-6ms and on lunar often shorter than that because moon is bright enough. This is because atmosphere is in constant motion and if you use longer exposure - seeing will not be frozen on a frame but will rather move during exposure and this will create additional motion blur that you don't want.

Hi vlaiv, it's interesting you say this, as when I first started with planetary imaging last year, I followed the advice of The London Astronomer, who recommends lower gains and target histogram of between 40 - 70%, depending on target and filter used.

I was pretty happy with what l was getting so never really tried playing with different settings - will have to have to do some testing when the planets come back later in the year.

I just got myself this camera too so I will also try these settings in future and I have tried the same advice from The London Astronomer too. I wonder about filters as I am considering getting a LRGB set for the gas giants later in the year as surely these would affect exposures timings and settings even further?