Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Optics UK - disheartening "story"

Astrofail

On 02/02/2021 at 13:12, johninderby said:

OO have made big improvements in mechanical build quality in the last few years. 

Shame their attitudes have not changed in the last few years.🙂

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Wrong

Orion Optics Uk has a UK based factory

So sorry, I was not aware of a British version, the overseas version is not U.S. but Canadian--yes confusing!

2 minutes ago, VNA said:

So sorry, I was not aware of a British version, the overseas version is not U.S. but Canadian--yes confusing!

Can cause confusion because of the Orion name. Many from the US and Canada make the same mistake bit no big deal. 

• 5 weeks later...

...Been an interesting read. Was unaware that any commercial 'scope optics were still make within UK. Live and learn...

To guard against the possibility of receiving a 48 wave mirror resembling the Atlantic on a stormy day... Make your own, then nobody to blame, apart from the wife, cat or dog that caused the turned down edge to mysteriously appear!

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

On 06/07/2022 at 14:45, SthBohemia said:

...Been an interesting read. Was unaware that any commercial 'scope optics were still make within UK. Live and learn...

To guard against the possibility of receiving a 48 wave mirror resembling the Atlantic on a stormy day... Make your own, then nobody to blame, apart from the wife, cat or dog that caused the turned down edge to mysteriously appear!

Cheers Rob

I take my hat off to those with the skill and patience to successfully make a mirror.  Financially not worth it in the smaller sizes but immensely satisfying I would assume.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NGC 1502 said:

I take my hat off to those

....who persevere with obtaining superlative images through use of strange devices (to myself) and those that brave the rain, wind and cold through stormy nights to catch a glimpse of an illusive NGC 🙂 

The making of the mirrors and mounts is more akin (in my case) to those that create model railways. The fun is in the construction not so much the end product.

21 hours ago, SthBohemia said:

The making of the mirrors and mounts is more akin (in my case) to those that create model railways. The fun is in the construction not so much the end product.

With me the mirror making was a love/hate thing, the structure I thoroughly enjoyed, and the fun is using it and meeting different like minded folks in my case 

• Like 3