Jump to content

Banner.jpg.b6007b69ccdf5c69bf18273ddfe023df.jpg

Orion Optics UK - disheartening "story"


Astrofail
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 02/02/2021 at 13:12, johninderby said:

OO have made big improvements in mechanical build quality in the last few years. 

Shame their attitudes have not changed in the last few years.🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Wrong

Orion Optics Uk has a UK based factory

 

So sorry, I was not aware of a British version, the overseas version is not U.S. but Canadian--yes confusing!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Skyline said:

Shame their attitudes have not changed in the last few years.🙂

 

Hello, maybe the name Orion is cursed?  ;- )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, VNA said:

 

So sorry, I was not aware of a British version, the overseas version is not U.S. but Canadian--yes confusing!

Can cause confusion because of the Orion name. Many from the US and Canada make the same mistake bit no big deal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

...Been an interesting read. Was unaware that any commercial 'scope optics were still make within UK. Live and learn...

To guard against the possibility of receiving a 48 wave mirror resembling the Atlantic on a stormy day... Make your own, then nobody to blame, apart from the wife, cat or dog that caused the turned down edge to mysteriously appear!

Cheers Rob

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/07/2022 at 14:45, SthBohemia said:

...Been an interesting read. Was unaware that any commercial 'scope optics were still make within UK. Live and learn...

To guard against the possibility of receiving a 48 wave mirror resembling the Atlantic on a stormy day... Make your own, then nobody to blame, apart from the wife, cat or dog that caused the turned down edge to mysteriously appear!

Cheers Rob



 

I take my hat off to those with the skill and patience to successfully make a mirror.  Financially not worth it in the smaller sizes but immensely satisfying I would assume.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NGC 1502 said:

I take my hat off to those

....who persevere with obtaining superlative images through use of strange devices (to myself) and those that brave the rain, wind and cold through stormy nights to catch a glimpse of an illusive NGC 🙂 

The making of the mirrors and mounts is more akin (in my case) to those that create model railways. The fun is in the construction not so much the end product.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, SthBohemia said:

The making of the mirrors and mounts is more akin (in my case) to those that create model railways. The fun is in the construction not so much the end product.

With me the mirror making was a love/hate thing, the structure I thoroughly enjoyed, and the fun is using it and meeting different like minded folks in my case 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.