SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Orion Optics UK - disheartening "story"

Astrofail

Shoping around for a photonewt mirror on telescope-express.de and astroshop.eu as these are the two places I ve found so far within the EU zone to avoid customs etc.

Been interested in OOUK mirrors for a while as they seem to have really nice specs/price ratio compared to most everyting else I ve come across on the internet so far ...but theres these persistent end user horrror stories floating around that I come accross from time to time and it makes me really frustrated as I dont really know what to beleive or think or do nor to buy.

The below link goes to a blog (belonging to?) a supposedly renowned german optician performing optics testing for end users/retailers etc. Reading through it made my hair stand on end ...

https://interferometrie.blogspot.com/2015/01/orion-optics-24-research-grade-sad-story.html

Can someone recommend a properly trustworthy quality manufacturer of newtonian mirrors inside the euro zone?

• Like 1

When you come across a supposed experts report that is totally at odds with your personal experiences and those of everyone you know there I can only draw one conclusion. 🤔

OO tests all their mirrors using proper laser inferometry not the simple methods used by the “expert”. I know who I beleive. 🙂

https://www.orionoptics.co.uk/OPTICS/zygo.html

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

I have used an Orion VX12L with a research grade mirror for the past few years and it is quite excellent, certainly the best of the three different makes that I have experience of.

Edited by Saganite

My CT10L from OOUK with a high quality 1/10 wave mirror is a perfectly good performer. This is purely based on using it and not down to any detailed scientific testing.

That article is 7 years old and refers to a protracted process through various court procedures so I assume the purchase was probably 10 years ago at least.

It is also for a 24 inch mirror , hardly a mainstream product.

Edited by fifeskies
  • Like 1

I ordered a 300mm 1/10w mirror from OO last March, it arrived in October. While I have no complaints about the views it's given me (quite the contrary actually), I did complain about its packaging and the state in which it arrived. It arrived in a box filled with nurdles, and was kept away from the edges of the box by several large soft plastic doughnuts. So far, so good. But the mirror itself was directly wrapped in a large swathe of cotton wool, further surrounded by tissue and bubble-wrap. The trouble was, the cotton wool was directly in contact with the face of the mirror, that can't be good, I thought as I carefully pulled everything away.

Sure enough, on revealing the supposedly pristine surface of the mirror, I noticed a pair of more-or-less parallel scratches, too big to be called "sleeks", about 1-2cm long and 0.1 - 0.15mm wide, about 60% from the centre to the edge. One of them had at one end a sort of orbital pattern, suggesting that there was grit or somesuch on the cotton wool as it was placed on the mirror, which then travelled around a bit during transportation. Christ!

I complained, obviously, and got a terse reply saying essentially "read our terms and conditions, it's within tolerances". No hint of regret or apology or redress.

The scratches have no effect whatsoever on the views of course, which have been superb, but surely they can think of a better way to keep the surface protected during transit and packing having spent literally months making it close to perfection?

Before too long I shall be in the market for a 20" mirror, and my first port of call will be John Nichol.

Magnus

Edited by Captain Magenta
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, CedricTheBrave said:

having a VX14 nearing the end of production this does worry me.

I will however be collecting mine rather than rely on their packaging!

You have to remember even the gods at Takahashi provide telescopes with issues as on noted by threads on SGL. Poor focusers and funny stars in the corners on some models.

Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, andrew s said:

You have to remember even the gods at Takahashi provide telescopes with issues as on noted by threads on SGL. Poor focusers and funny stars in the corners on some models.

Regards Andrew 

I sent a Baader steeltrack to fit instead of the stock focuser they supply also specifying the backfocus i wanted so I hope I have a few bases covered :0)

On 31/01/2021 at 20:23, johninderby said:

I am a bit suspicious of that story. Had a number of OO mirrors and all have been perfect and delivered great views. 

Same as that. I have had 3 of them, two 10 inch and an 8 inch, wonder optics in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Ref  @Captain Magenta.... complained, obviously, and got a terse reply saying essentially "read our terms and conditions, it's within tolerances". No hint of regret or apology or redress.

Reminds me of the multiple problems when I bought my first newt from. It arrived bent and battered because they had put the OTA in the wrong length box. Somehow it was my fault!

Once bitten twice shy. Since then I have only ever bought 2nd hand Orion kit. I would never trust them with a new order.

Excellent mirrors on the OO used scopes I have had.

Edited by Carbon Brush
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

..Once bitten twice shy. Since then I have only ever bought 2nd hand Orion kit. I would never trust them with a new order.

That's how I feel about OO as well :rolleyes2:

• Like 1

Some interesting comments on OOUK, and certainly the first horror story has been seen on this forum before. Was there ever a reply from them giving their side of what happened? If at all true, it will not exactly encourage sales I would have thought, so an explanation or a denial would seem to be in order?

Chris