New TS 8inch Quattro

Ok so here goes.........

Got the 8 inch version of skywatchers Quattro.

Seems to be the same but apparently better optics focuser added fan etc,

Done all the modifications that the guys on here have said AKA Alicant, and Olly.

Threw springs away, added new ones, )now a 6 spring system instead of 3, coma corrector needs to be the most expensive one, typical lol.

and here is a pic from 1 hours worth of data in 10  min grabs tonight in the horsehead (6x 10 min subs, darks and bias) i have to mention, i was not  going for pic of the century but making sure everything works. And it seems i can see through fine clouds too lol.

Considering its a full moonNEWTRY.thumb.jpg.99f46f15cf58a699b199a1957d48db56.jpg clouds coming and going im very happy.

Stu

Edited by Stu Wilson
  • Like 6

I'll also write up very soon a topic about point of receiving one of these scopes to point of use and as  Olly suggested to me....... unless your skills are in engineering and you have at your disposal a 3D printer steer clear.

I'm nowhere near happy yet.

I will be in the end.

As Olly said..... this setup is NOT plug and play lol.

Good comment 🙂

12 hours ago, Stu Wilson said:

you have at your disposal a 3D printer

For what do you need a 3d printer? I thought you only replaced the springs and dovetails, no? AFAICT, only a 30 minute job. But do tell otherwise!

Anyway, well done. It looks as though it's gonna produce some great images:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, alacant said:

For what do you need a 3d printer? I thought you only replaced the springs and dovetails, no? AFAICT, only a 30 minute job. But do tell otherwise!

I made the plastic thumbscrews etc and a memory sleeve type thing that goes on coma corrector so everything on initial setup is pretty much in correct place.

Im going to mount the guide scope to my aluminium rail later today too, as you suggested.

1 hour ago, alacant said:

I certainly never mentioned a 3D printer either! I scacely know what they are!! :D

A few years ago Singlin wrote up a detailed and excellent article on fettling a Quattro. It would be worth finding, I'm sure.

Olly

4 hours ago, Stu Wilson said:

I made the plastic thumbscrews etc and a memory sleeve type thing that goes on coma corrector so everything on initial setup is pretty much in correct place.

Im going to mount the guide scope to my aluminium rail later today too, as you suggested.

Heres the finder/guider in his new place.

20210131_164721.jpg

1 hour ago, Stu Wilson said:

guider in his new place

Mmm. Not sure. Ideally it needs bolting directly to the rail: cork or felt padded u- bolts are good. The bracket will allow the guide telescope to wobble. But hey, try it.

Cheers

Why not put the guide scope on the bracket mounted to the main tube? The main tube carries the mirror and it's ultimately the mirror you're guiding. You're not looking for the stiffest location for the guide scope, you're looking for the one which most accurately replicates the pointing of the mirror.

Olly

2 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Why not put the guide scope on the bracket mounted to the main tube? The main tube carries the mirror and it's ultimately the mirror you're guiding. You're not looking for the stiffest location for the guide scope, you're looking for the one which most accurately replicates the pointing of the mirror.

Olly

Good call. It should do pretty much the same result though from the bracing bar surely.?

17 hours ago, Stu Wilson said:

It should do pretty much the same

If you thicken/reinforce the tube around the clamp so as to spread the load, maybe.  However, with the tube and mirror now being held adequately and unless you really do want to drill and rivet, I'd go for the top rail;)

Cheers

Edited by alacant