SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Artcise tripod - A Eureka moment.

Ande

Bought my Artcise HS80C tripod a month or so back,  and whilst generally delighted with it, I was a bit dismayed to find that once my mount was attached, and tightened down, it lined up perfectly with one of the legs. Trying to do a polar alignment was almost impossible, as the tripod leg hindered my attempts to get a good look. And, once I had managed to get some sort of alignment, it was then a miracle if I could extricate myself without banging the tripod and knocking it back out of alignment. 

So, I decided to have a look, and see if I could adapt the tripod somehow.  Upon closer inspection, it appeared that there was not much chance of adapting it. Then I remembered seeing some sort of odd “extra” that had come with the tripod. It looks a bit like an upturned flower basket. I took the mounting plate off, then attached this weird thing. Turns out it acts like a ball and socket type of arrangement. Not only does it allow me to position the scope exactly where I want, but it also enables me to get the scope perfectly level without having to to do the leg shortening/lengthening ritual, which never seems to go as well, and as quickly, as one might expect.  I can simply slacken off one bolt, with a hand grip on it, and then tighten it up in a couple of seconds, and get it spot on. It now tightens up beautifully, and is rock-solid without a hint of movement. 

Super pleased that I now have a tripod that not only meets my initial expectations, but has gone one stop better. I can now set it up to the height I want, with scant disregard for which leg is longer than the other. Then simply balance at the top.  Result :)

Just had a Google around and it turns out it is a “bowl” tripod. Hadn’t ever heard of one before, but it appears to be a common thing. Perfect for my needs, which is the main thing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/01/2021 at 14:50, Ande said:

Bought my Artcise HS80C tripod a month or so back,  and whilst generally delighted with it, I was a bit dismayed to find that once my mount was attached, and tightened down, it lined up perfectly with one of the legs. Trying to do a polar alignment was almost impossible, as the tripod leg hindered my attempts to get a good look. And, once I had managed to get some sort of alignment, it was then a miracle if I could extricate myself without banging the tripod and knocking it back out of alignment. 

So, I decided to have a look, and see if I could adapt the tripod somehow.  Upon closer inspection, it appeared that there was not much chance of adapting it. Then I remembered seeing some sort of odd “extra” that had come with the tripod. It looks a bit like an upturned flower basket. I took the mounting plate off, then attached this weird thing. Turns out it acts like a ball and socket type of arrangement. Not only does it allow me to position the scope exactly where I want, but it also enables me to get the scope perfectly level without having to to do the leg shortening/lengthening ritual, which never seems to go as well, and as quickly, as one might expect.  I can simply slacken off one bolt, with a hand grip on it, and then tighten it up in a couple of seconds, and get it spot on. It now tightens up beautifully, and is rock-solid without a hint of movement. 

Super pleased that I now have a tripod that not only meets my initial expectations, but has gone one stop better. I can now set it up to the height I want, with scant disregard for which leg is longer than the other. Then simply balance at the top.  Result :)

What telescope have you got mounted, and what mount are you using? I'm thinking of using the same tripod and would be useful to learn from your experience! 

Thanks! 

On 20/02/2021 at 19:15, Marc1964 said:

What telescope have you got mounted, and what mount are you using? I'm thinking of using the same tripod and would be useful to learn from your experience! 

Thanks! 

Sorry, I have only just spotted your post. I’m using a ZenithStar 61, plus reducer/flattener and an iOptron Skyguider, plus camera etc. So nothing too demanding. Although the spec sheet suggests it can take quite a load. Can’t remember the exact loading, but have a feeling it was 30kg or so.

• Thanks 1