Narrowband

First telescope

Hi! I'm planning to buy my first telescope  for amateur usage. I'm torn between a refractor a reflector.  Which would be better choice between a skywatcher 1025eq1 model and Skywatcher 1309 eq 2 model? I value easy portability, low maintenance and ease of use! Please advise.

Advice I was given on here as a beginner last year was to avoid an EQ mount. Will you be visual observing only or looking to get into Astrophotography?

For low maintenance and ease of use visual only, I can recommend (you've guessed it) an 8" Dob,  but they are big heavy beasts.

Andy

• Like 1

Hi @SSR and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Can you give us an idea of your budget?

Once we have an idea of what you have to spend, then we can advise in the 'pros & cons' on what would best suit you. If possible, shop from a reputable astro-dealer such as SGL sponsor FLO, rather than online auction sites or warehouses. I personally think both 'scopes are ok to begin with, but the novelty may to soon wane with the supplied EQ mounts. I have used 'scopes with the cheaper EQ1 & EQ2 mounts. They were a pain to use and setup for visual. The only EQ mount that 'worked' for me was a Vixen GP.

Visual and easy to use & portable = alt az mount rather than EQ mount. (Or a dobsonian ...)

Which mount ( and tripod) depends on the weight of the telescope that goes on it.

Which telescope depends on what sort of storage space you have , how easy you would find it to move a slightly awkward thing from storage to your viewing location, if you live in a brightly lit city, somewhat light polluted suburb , or the depths of the countryside .

Also what sort of astronomical objects you are most interested in seeing .

Hi SSR and a warm welcome from me.  I would recommend a refractor on an alt-az mount for low maintenance and ease of use.  Something like this to get you into the hobby:  https://agenaastro.com/sky-watcher-102mm-startravel-alt-azimuth-refractor-telescope-s10100.html

Please note that many telescope suppliers are out of stock at the moment and if you order you may have to wait awhile to get a delivery.

Good luck & clear skies!

Absolutely agree with this ..focus on the mount then the scope ..get the right mount and you can add future OTA to it and other equipment..you may start out as an observation enthusiast but in time you may want to dabble in AP .. 

It is generally accepted that a Dobsonian mounted reflector is a good choice for beginners and many experienced star gazers use them - http://www1.phys.vt.edu/~jhs/dobsonian.html
But there is a good case buying a good quality refractor - http://www.ashfordastro.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/From-the-garden-to-the-stars-v2.pdf

I've come to the conclusion that it's like asking what is the best type of screwdriver to get.

screws.jpg

• Like 1

On 29/01/2021 at 16:19, SSR said:

Thank you  Dark Vader and  Philip  R for your response. I'm looking at only visual  astronomy and the budget is about 350 to 400 USD. Regards 

Welcome to Stargazer's Lounge.  A few more questions:

Do you live in a city or in the country?

Where do you plan to keep the scope; where do you plan to use it?

How will you get it from where you keep it and where you'll use it; are there stairs involved?

The more information you can give us the better will be able to help.

Thank you for your response. I live in a city.  Plan to keep the telescope in store room with no stairs.  Plan to use the  telescope in a dark area near my location.  Would like to view both planets and  Deep sky objects....

On 29/01/2021 at 22:37, rwilkey said:

Hi SSR and a warm welcome from me.  I would recommend a refractor on an alt-az mount for low maintenance and ease of use.  Something like this to get you into the hobby:  https://agenaastro.com/sky-watcher-102mm-startravel-alt-azimuth-refractor-telescope-s10100.html

Please note that many telescope suppliers are out of stock at the moment and if you order you may have to wait awhile to get a delivery.

Good luck & clear skies!

On 29/01/2021 at 22:34, Tiny Clanger said:

Visual and easy to use & portable = alt az mount rather than EQ mount. (Or a dobsonian ...)

Which mount ( and tripod) depends on the weight of the telescope that goes on it.

Which telescope depends on what sort of storage space you have , how easy you would find it to move a slightly awkward thing from storage to your viewing location, if you live in a brightly lit city, somewhat light polluted suburb , or the depths of the countryside .

Also what sort of astronomical objects you are most interested in seeing .

Thank you Tiny Clanger for your response. I stay in a city with considerable light pollution. I'm a beginner and have short listed two models.  Skywatcher BK 1025eq1 refractor and Skywatcher BK 1309eq2 reflector. Priority is ease of use, portability and low maintenance.  Interested in both seeing both planets and deep sky objects. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SSR said:

Thank you Tiny Clanger for your response. I stay in a city with considerable light pollution. I'm a beginner and have short listed two models.  Skywatcher BK 1025eq1 refractor and Skywatcher BK 1309eq2 reflector. Priority is ease of use, portability and low maintenance.  Interested in both seeing both planets and deep sky objects. 

If you are only going to do visual then you don't need the EQ mount, take a look at the BK1025AZ3 Refractor.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SSR said:

My heart says the reflector will give you more light collecting ability, but my head hears your priorities of portability and low maintenance , and says you should choose the refractor .

This will surprise anyone who knows my usual suggestions !

Please , as others have said, do not buy any telescope on a cheap eq mount, the 102 is available on a simple alt az  mount  http://www.skywatcher.com/product/bk-1025az3/

There is a review of it from a couple of years ago here

hope that helps .

Heather

Edited by Tiny Clanger