SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Look what I found!!! First telescope!!!

I couldn’t pass it up, too sweet a deal.  Not sure I was looking for a 10” Dobsonian but I’m beyond thrilled.  The eyepiece in the scope is a super plossl 25mm multi coated 52degrees piece.  There’s also a 10mm plossl and a 6mm ultra wide piece.  Also a 2” eyepiece adapter and a small red filter that says Antares no.21 on it.  25 and 10mm come with the scope.  Of course skies here are cloudy.  I don’t care, really stoked.  I haven’t taken the dust cap off yet, need to have a peek inside but it seems to be basically near-new condition.  Turn left at Orion will be showing up tomorrow.

0077D8F8-DE49-463F-A61E-9D4DF2F2E736.jpeg

• Like 12

Great find @Mamm7215, one size down from my 12 inch SW Dob and a great all round scope for planetary and deep sky viewing.

Don't worry if the primary mirror looks a little dusty, it won't affect the quality of the views, no need to clean it unless it is in a shocking state which going by the great looking condition in the photo, is unlikely.

Some better quality eyepieces will help you get the best out of it and you won't need to break the bank to achieve that, though the choice out there can be a bit daunting!

Hope you get some clear skies soon enough to try it out, do let us know how you go. :) 

(P.S. The scope in the photo is not fully extended, the poles need to be right up against the stops, will click twice when fully up).

4 hours ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Great find @Mamm7215, one size down from my 12 inch SW Dob and a great all round scope for planetary and deep sky viewing.

Don't worry if the primary mirror looks a little dusty, it won't affect the quality of the views, no need to clean it unless it is in a shocking state which going by the great looking condition in the photo, is unlikely.

Some better quality eyepieces will help you get the best out of it and you won't need to break the bank to achieve that, though the choice out there can be a bit daunting!

Hope you get some clear skies soon enough to try it out, do let us know how you go. :) 

(P.S. The scope in the photo is not fully extended, the poles need to be right up against the stops, will click twice when fully up).

Thanks! The primary actually does look dirty, dusty with a couple of larger (but still small) spots and a bit of light blue haze to one side almost like a dirty rear view in a car.  I was able to look at the moon for a bit after I eyeball collimated it and lined up the finder scope.  Works good enough but a decent right angle scope is on the list.  I know it wasn’t extended fully, just wanted it out to take the photo but I have to ask, what’s the 2nd indentation for.  It gets halfway out or so and the first lock holes set. Then you pull it out a bit for to fully extend it, why the 1st set of indents, is it to reduce the focal range?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mamm7215 said:

I have to ask, what’s the 2nd indentation for.  It gets halfway out or so and the first lock holes set. Then you pull it out a bit for to fully extend it, why the 1st set of indents, is it to reduce the focal range?

I suspect that one of the indents is to allow use with a camera that needs more backfocus than you need with an eyepiece , but I have not used one of these so can't be certain about that.

If it is only halfway though that sounds like its probably more than this would need.

Edited by fifeskies
  • Like 1

A nice find. I have the goto version. A great scope.

Mine came without tube caps of any sort. I made some on the 3D printer.
The photo shows a cap to close both main tube and top section when it is collapsed for storage.
The files were posted on SGL a couple of years back. But I can easily send them if you are interested.

Enjoy the scope.

David.

DSCF1270.JPG

Ok that’s interesting.  On another note, I braved a primary mirror clean today and I managed to not destroy anything! It was pretty dusty with some goopy small blobs (pollen?) and a bit of a blue film. Rinsed in sink with water, soaked and rinsed with a couple drops of detergent in water and lightly washed it off with my cleaned fingers. Then rinsed off with distilled water and blew remaining dust that had settled after off with a hair dryer on low.  Put back together and it collimated fine so here’s hoping it works out.  The secondary could probably use a clean, too but I’ll brave that another day.  I’ll probably just blow it off for now. Just a bit dusty

• Like 2