CGE NexStar+ HC does not keep time. Gives No RTC detected error

jorman

I have a CGE mount with a NexStar+ hand controller. I does not keep time. The HC is brand new and I have tried two brand new 2032 batteries. When I go into the HC utilities menu to make sure that the RTC function is On, it says that : No RTC detected. What could be wrong ?

PS: I have tried cleaning the battery contacts inside the pier and yes , the battery polarity is correct.....

I don't have the mount, so just shooting some ideas.... 

Having a battery doesn't necessarily show the presence of an RTC, as the battery would also be used for keeping the settings stored in nvram, so does the HC have an RTC chip ? or is it in the mount and only shows up when they are both connected ??   If it's in the HC, Is there an internal link that needs to be set ??

My mount ( CGE1400) does have an RTC built in. I have changed the RTC battery several times. However now when I go to the hand controller function to turn the RTC on, it saya : " No RTC detected ". Why ? That is the question. By the way the CGE1400 manual clearly states that there is an RTC in the mount.