Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Widefield 1.25" Eyepieces

Jiggy 67

Hi all,

So I'm in a quandary. I want a low power eyepiece with as wide a fov possible in a 1.25" format. I don't want to go to 2" at this stage, mainly because of filter requirements and I can do without swapping adapters in and out mid session. The eyepiece would be used on both a 200PDS reflector (F5) and a 100ED refractor (F9).

I have settled on two choices:

TV Panoptic 24mm 68 degree ep

Explore Scientific 24mm 68 degree ep

All the figures appear to be very similar, they have similar field stop dimensions, similar eye relief but NOT a similar price, the TV being double the price of the ES. I'm not sure if I want to go down the Televue rabbit hole either.....as I still have a mortgage to pay!!

What are your thoughts?.....Is the quality of the TV worth double the price of the ES?......or is there an alternative?

Hi,

I use a pair of 24mm Panoptics in my binoviewer, they are superb, but so too are the 24mm Explore scientific  and I would have chosen them had they been slightly smaller diameter.  I could not accommodate with my IPD, however, as  a single eyepiece they give nothing to the Pan in my opinion.  Save yourself some money and go with the Explore 24mm, you will not regret it.

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 3

I've owned both the ES 24 / 68 and the TV Pan 24. Not much difference in performance to be honest with you. The TV is smaller. I just really like TV's though and I had owned a Pan 24 in the past so it was kind of inevitable that I would end up with another one :rolleyes2:

I've not used the APM UFF 24.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

I'd get the 24mm APM and not look back.  It's the only one of the three with a glasses-friendly eye relief.

I didn't know that the OP wore glasses when observing ?

Perhaps not, but someone he shares views with might and if he owns the eyepiece several years, he might too.

A person who doesn't wear glasses can use an eyepiece with long eye relief, but a person who does wear glasses cannot use an eyepiece with small eye relief.

A complicating factor here is that the 24mm APM is also compatible with the TeleVue DioptRx.

It sounded like he didn't want to spend the price of a 24mm Panoptic, which is the best of the 3 optically.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John said:

I didn't know that the OP wore glasses when observing ?

No I don’t wear glasses. I’ve had a good read of the reviews @Louis D posted. There really doesn’t appear to be much between the pan and the ES so l think I’ll go for the ES . Only problem is there is a bit of a wait for these to come into stock. Thanks all for your opinions 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

No I don’t wear glasses. I’ve had a good read of the reviews @Louis D posted. There really doesn’t appear to be much between the pan and the ES so l think I’ll go for the ES . Only problem is there is a bit of a wait for these to come into stock. Thanks all for your opinions 

I really like the 24mm ES 68 and am not motivated to seek any other eyepiece in its class, they work very well.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Only problem is there is a bit of a wait for these to come into stock.

If memory serves me correctly, the 24mm ES-68s were often in short supply long before the lock downs put everything in short supply, so be prepared for a long wait.

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Louis D said:

If memory serves me correctly, the 24mm ES-68s were often in short supply long before the lock downs put everything in short supply, so be prepared for a long wait.

Yeh, FLO state 40-60 days, I’m not holding my breath though and if it’s likely to take longer I may switch to the TV

Es 24/68 I owned was a very comfortable to use eyepiece. In my opinion I would save yourself some money over the pan 24. I think the Es has more eye relief too. Tv’s are great eyepieces but there are a fair few people out there who choose the Es over the Tv. The Es 24/68 is very comparable. 

Edited by Dantooine
  • Like 2

Another consideration, at a little more power in a 1.25" format and just as with John, I have to mention TeleVue, would be for an 18.2mm DeLite. This compact lovely eyepiece, yields a pleasant 62 degree apparent field, same glass composition as Delos, relaxed eye relief / eye placement and field stop presentation on subjects. Initially purchased for a winter deep sky reasoning, I have non the less used it quite a lot on backyard lockdown sessions as my starter, wideish field, low power e.p. Mine was as new / second hand from ebay, they do from time to time come up used of course. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

Another consideration, at a little more power in a 1.25" format and just as with John, I have to mention TeleVue, would be for an 18.2mm DeLite. This compact lovely eyepiece, yields a pleasant 62 degree apparent field, same glass composition as Delos, relaxed eye relief / eye placement and field stop presentation on subjects. Initially purchased for a winter deep sky reasoning, I have non the less used it quite a lot on backyard lockdown sessions as my starter, wideish field, low power e.p. Mine was as new / second hand from ebay, they do from time to time come up used of course. 

I’m not sure I need that focal length as I have 17.5mm Morpheus which I think covers all or at least most of the advantages you mention but certainly something to keep in mind

• Like 1