Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AVX Mount Control issue- Motor Control Board dead?

cplee42

I have been struggling over recent days with a problem with my AVX mount.

When I attach my Starsense HC as usual and then switch on I get (quickly) an "Err: Model Num" screen a few seconds after the HC Initialisation process starts. I have since upgraded the firmware on the HC in case this was a problem, but during the CFM update process the software did not detect the mount, only the HC and the Camera.

I notice when I switch on the power (I have tried battery back and AC-DC converter variations and different cables) the power light starts bright then fades about 50%. Not sure if this is normal. I have therefore detached the Motor Control Board and it all looks fine (no scorches) and the leads all seem to sit correctly. The power plug socket itself looks OK but in no way am I an electronics expert. 

During one set of fiddling I did get a different error message on the HC. I had by now started to use my HC back with my old Nexstar SE while I sorted out the AVX. It switched on and noted I was trying to use the HC on a new set up and did I want to dial in a new "user profile"? Not had that message before but it quickly went to "Critical Error!: and a reference to "Line 1468". I then realised I had forgotten to reattach the 6 port white cable. I reattached and... back to the usual "Err: Mod Num" etc. I tried to recreate this error chain by detaching the port but no luck - back to "err: Model Num" etc etc.

I can't use the original AVX HC that came with the mount - this has been sitting in a cabinet for 3 years and when I try to use it I get NO signal with attachment to AVX or Nexstar SE. It's just completely dead. Not sure why that should be the case since it was replaced by Starsense HC but was functioning adequately. I have looked at the HC board and no obvious reason why it doesn't light up on switch on.

I really don't want to shell out for a new Motor Control Board (and especially since my AVX is the old version - 6 leads vs the new 8 leads so needs a conversion "addition") yet confused why I get power of some kind, why it dims and why I get the various messages on the handset.

Any thoughts out there?

IMG_3742.thumb.jpeg.da98ebec98e84d08e36d09926465ff19.jpeg

IMG_3738.jpeg

IMG_3719.JPG

How old is the  battery?, many years ago I had a desktop pc go funny due to the bios battery

My old CG5-AGT doesn't have a battery  

As  I recall from recent research and tinkering the handset and aux ports share a common bus (not the autoguider  port) hence probably why the handset can see the starsense

3 hours ago, billhinge said:

Presumably you looked on cloudy do-dahs https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/680923-dead-celestron-avx-motor-board-nxw445-rev-h/  could  this be similar issue?

Indeed - I have a related forum question out there on CN after reading several posts but found none that map my situation and I certainly don't have the skills to go routing around with multiprobes and drilling out the MC board components!

• 10 months later...