SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mosaic of the Large Magellanic Cloud

MarsG76

Hello all,

Sharing with you my first DSO mosaic image. This the Large Magellanic Cloud visible from the southern hemisphere, a companion/satellite galaxy of our Milkyway 160,000LY away.

Due to the angular size of the LMC, this image consists of 4 frames, each exposed in natural color at 500mm focal length through an 80mm refractor. The 4 frame are combined into one image to fit the whole satellite galaxy into the frame. The camera used was my astromodded and active cooled canon 40D.

Exposure time was 2 hours and 42 minutes per frame for a total of 11.5 hours for the whole image. Each mosaic frame consisting of 20x60s, 20x120s, 14x180s and 12x300s subs.

CS,

MG.

LMC RGB Mosaic 18-24Jan2021 Frm.jpg

• Like 25

On 27/01/2021 at 14:30, Roy Foreman said:

Very nice and well done. Here in the UK we can only dream of such imaging targets !

A stunning image !

The last time down under we stayed in Daylesford for a week.  Some superb binocular sessions whilst there....:smiley:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Saganite said:

A stunning image !

The last time down under we stayed in Daylesford for a week.  Some superb binocular sessions whilst there....:smiley:

Both hemispheres have their unique celestial features and attractions... there are quite a few northern sky objects I wish I could see and image too.... 

On 30/01/2021 at 18:28, peter shah said:

Wow what a beauty!.....there are so many in the southern hemisphere I'd love to image....Ill have to make the trip one day.

I say the same thing about northern objects...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

fantastic, I love all the star forming regions in the bottom right section.

thank you.. This is quite a busy region..... it is a satellite galaxy I guess... so I guess to remain in existence, stars have to form within....