Narrowband

SW Evostar 80ED + HEQ5 accessories help

Hello,

I will be buying the Sky-Watcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro + HEQ5 mount to use for astrophotography. I am a novice at this and will be learning astrophotography with this setup.

I am afraid to miss some vital accessory and have to wait extra months for it to be delivered.

What I am ordering:

What I already have:

Is the camera adapter I have the same as the Astro Essentials one? Do I not need to buy another one? Is there anything else I need in order to use my camera? I've read some stories about people not being able to achieve focus with their DSLR without some extra gadgets, but that might be more of a reflector scope problem?

Another part I'm a little clueless about is powering the mount. I imagine I can buy whatever is needed in a local hardware store, or are there some non-standard connections or requirements?

Anything else I have forgotten?

Thank you so much

Are you planning to use a computer to control the mount?

APT the free software , can make running exposures much easier. (works very well with my EOS)

You will need the correct adapter cable for mount to computer (I don't think one is included with the kit).

Edited by fifeskies

I hadn't even considered that! I will check those out, thanks.

I'm a little confused about how I will be attaching the DSLR to the scope.

Scope-Reducer-M48adapter-DSLR should work.

But will I always be using the reducer for photography? Are there no objects that are better to image without it? In that case, will it work like this:
Scope-M48adapter-DSLR? Or is that when I need one of these: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-2-inch-t-mount-camera-nosepiece-adapter.html

There are so many options, the chance I won't order the wrong thing seems a bit too small for my liking 😅

Hello Vilius and welcome.

For powering the mount, I have one of these..... https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/skywatcher-powertank-7ah.html doesn't list it but a quick email to FLO will confirm whether it's included.

The T2 adapter and the M48 adapter are one and the same. That ring fits to your camera, what you also need is the nosepiece to go with it. The nosepiece fits to the OTA. On the FLO link, they show the 2" nosepiece, ideally you want this.

Note that there is only one supplied eyepiece, you may want to save a few pennies for at least one more.

I would also get a moon filter, a red head torch and a warm set of gloves. 👍

Thanks, M40. So I don't need to buy a new M48 adapter, but I do need the nose piece. On my current beginner scope the adapter screws on right on the focuser, but I guess that is not possible on the 80ED.

I saw those SW powertanks, but intuitively I guessed they would be more expensive than buying some generic solution at a hardware store. Perhaps just buying the SW powertank is easiest.

Regarding eyepieces, I will be using a two scope solution, the 80ED is only for imaging. :) I have some 1.25" eyepieces that came with my beginner scope, so I could use those if I want to look through the 80ED also.

Hadn't heard about a moon filter before, will check it out!

5 hours ago, Vilius said:

On my current beginner scope the adapter screws on right on the focuser, but I guess that is not possible on the 80ED.

Learning all the time, didn't know that was something that could be done. As for the moon filter, the moon is very bright and the filter cuts down the brightness to an acceptable level for observing. There are filters and there are "Filters", I started with the cheapest moon filter I could get and have only recently upgraded.

One thing you might want to consider is a way of powering your DSLR apart from the internal battery.

I found that when doing long exposures with my 1100D that the battery went flat after a few hours.