Narrowband

Few galaxies from 2020

drjolo

Last year was not the best in terms of total number of subframes I was able to collect, but still, I captured a few galaxies. Most of them are well known or very well known targets. But maybe one or two are a little bit more exotic :) All images were captured in my backyard telescope under moderately light polluted sky. Equipment: Meade ACF 10" f/10 with Astro Physics reducer, QHY163M with Baader filters and EQ6 mount.

Stephan's Quintet. Conditions were decent - good transparency and good seeing, but the weather did not allowed to capture more data. So the total exposures are L 120x2 minutes, RGB 50:30:40 x 1 minute.

spacer.png

NGC3718. This one was on my astroimaging list since I remember. But it was last year, when the conditions were good enough, so I took a chance on it under my suburban sky. It is LRGB 460x2 minutes.

spacer.png

NGC5033. Not a primary astrophotography target, but it is quite an interesting object. However requires both good seeing and transparenty to capture and reveal any details. I had both of them during the exposures, but I also had a Moon as a bonus, so the outcome is not as good as I would like to. LRGB 350x2 minutes. 

spacer.png

Messier 85 and NGC4394. Usually elliptical galaxies are quite boring, but M85 is not a perfect elliptical blob. It is asymmetric and also contains some features, however not well defined. They are better revealed at the contour pseudo color images below. LRGB 300x2 minutes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Messier 98. It is almost edge-on galaxy located in Coma Berenices. It is one of the most difficult Messier object to observe due to low surface brightness. Due to large inclination capturing any details requires good seeing. and low brightness requires good transparency. I had only this second condition, so the amount of detail is not large. LRGB 325x2 minutes.

spacer.png

Messier 63 Sunflower. It is an iconic object. It was the first time I captured any data of this target, because I always waited for better seeing and transparency to catch some of M63 dusty details. LRGB 375x2 minutes.

spacer.png

Thanks for watching!

Edited by drjolo
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Thank you!

I would love to have more nights like the one I captured data for M63. At my backyard observatory clean air and good transparency are  the only ways to fight LP (at least for LRGB imaging). 

• 1 year later...