Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dew Heaters

nephilim

I'm in the process of building my AP rig & now looking at dew heaters, im assuming its advisable to get them for both the guide scope (SW 50ED) & imaging lens (Samyang 135 f/2) Also can anyone point me in the right direction for the correct size heater for the Samyang?

Secondly im getting the ZWO asi533 shortly & have seen a few mentions of this heater being used https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-accessories/zwo-anti-dew-heater-strip-for-asi-cooled-cameras.html  Is it necessary? I live between the Northern Pennines & Lake District so it gets pretty cold round here so i'm assuming its needed but would obviously prefer not to shell out yet more cash if I dont really need to.

Thanks
Steve

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rnobleeddy said:

I haven't used a camera lens in the cold, but have managed to get away with a (homemade) few shield and no heater on my guidescope this winter.

We've been getting temps down to around minus 9 up here recently so I dont want to risk losing data with fogged up optics on the few clear nights we get this time of year.

• Like 1

I have the 533mc and it ran all night at temps of -2 just fine. I had the camera cooled to -20.

As for dew tapes, FLO just sent me the finderscope 2" Lynx Astro dew tape and it looks like a very nice bit of kit compared to previous brands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use two CooWoo USB drew heaters on my scope and guide scope. I went for these as they're USB powered and plug into the USB hub on my mount.

They're 45cm long and can be wrapped around the scope or lens as they have Valcro along the length. I've had them working in -6°C up here without any issues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

I use two CooWoo USB drew heaters on my scope and guide scope. I went for these as they're USB powered and plug into the USB hub on my mount.

They're 45cm long and can be wrapped around the scope or lens as they have Valcro along the length. I've had them working in -6°C up here without any issues.

@Budgie1 Cheers for the link. You'll have similar (if not colder) temps than me. I wish this lockdown would end, i'm missing winter climbing days on the Ben.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Budgie1 said:

Yep same for me as well

• Like 1

On 25/01/2021 at 10:17, nephilim said:

Also can anyone point me in the right direction for the correct size heater for the Samyang?

Measured the outside diameter of removable dew shield on my Samyang 135/f2 & it's 93 mm. So the minimum length dew strap you'd need (not counting any unheated Velcro) to completely encircle the dew shield is 29.2 cm (2π · ÷ 10)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scorpius said:

Measured the outside diameter of removable dew shield on my Samyang 135/f2 & it's 93 mm. So the minimum length dew strap you'd need (not counting any unheated Velcro) to completely encircle the dew shield is 29.2 cm (2π · ÷ 10)

Thanks for the info mate

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alien 13 said:

Another CooWoo user here, I chose these because I run a portable setup and a battery bank will run them all night. The heater strip fits my lenses that have a 77mm filter size and my 90mm Mak too.

Alan 

I'd go for those but i've already got the Lynx Astro Controller unit which isnt USB, i'm using the ASIair Pro which does have multiple USB ports but they'll all be taken up with Camera's, mount etc.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2021 at 15:17, nephilim said:

have seen a few mentions of this heater being used https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-accessories/zwo-anti-dew-heater-strip-for-asi-cooled-cameras.html  Is it necessary? I live between the Northern Pennines & Lake District so it gets pretty cold round here so i'm assuming its needed but would obviously prefer not to shell out yet more cash if I dont really need to.

I know what you mean about not wasting the few clear nights living around the Pennines 🙂 

Sounds like you are clear on the heated dew bands you need. I actually made mine and very easy they are to make but to be honest doesn't save much by the time you have bought all the heater wire (or resistors) cable, tape plugs etc.

Regarding the heater for the camera I asked the very same question about the ASI1600mm when I started and was told it was not needed on my newer camera as it was an issue on earlier ZWO cameras, so I guess if yours is a new camera then wont be required. 
Anyway, I too have been is temperatures down around -8 at least and never had an issue with camera fogging. Whether you actually need one for the guidescope or not I am not sure as I have always just used one so as you have the controller already a small dew band will not be very much so personally I would just get one and then you know it will not mist up.

Steve

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I know what you mean about not wasting the few clear nights living around the Pennines 🙂 

Sounds like you are clear on the heated dew bands you need. I actually made mine and very easy they are to make but to be honest doesn't save much by the time you have bought all the heater wire (or resistors) cable, tape plugs etc.

Regarding the heater for the camera I asked the very same question about the ASI1600mm when I started and was told it was not needed on my newer camera as it was an issue on earlier ZWO cameras, so I guess if yours is a new camera then wont be required. 
Anyway, I too have been is temperatures down around -8 at least and never had an issue with camera fogging. Whether you actually need one for the guidescope or not I am not sure as I have always just used one so as you have the controller already a small dew band will not be very much so personally I would just get one and then you know it will not mist up.

Steve

Cheers mate, good advice. The ASI 533 is pretty new so i'll leave the heater off that & just buy for the guide scope & see how it goes.

• Thanks 1